ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French Style bulbs

Clio 1,2 16V
The clio that im gona be getting has french style bulbs in the headlights low and high and fogs. im wondering whether to take them out because every Wednesday i go to my local police station to attend cadets any one have theyre opinions because i know there illegal and was thinking of just replacing them with 55k hids.????

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You mean yellow bulbs? Get rid of them. Police magnets.

Only put the HIDs in if you have the correct housings for them or you'll burn everyone's eyes out. And I'm assuming you mean 55w. Be careful because the temperature created by 55w HIDs can melt housings. If in doubt, 35w. Don't go higher than 6k either or you'll look an idiot with your blue headlights.

By correct housings I mean these:
6.jpg

or
2.jpg

rather than these:
1.jpg

or
5.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
You mean yellow bulbs? Get rid of them. Police magnets.

Maybe for headlights but I've had Selective Yellow fogs for years and there's no issue with them... mind, I don't drive around using them like daytime running lamps like some do.

If you want to add an air of French to your fog lights, get some Lamin-X film in Selective Yellow.

As for headlamps, just get the best normal buls you can, HID's and other faux-xenons are MOT-failures

Listerine & Poledo
Oh god. He said MOT fail. Watch the debate begin.

Yep, I went there.

Pretty sure it's true though, isn't it?

In any event, aftermarket kits will almost invariably end up giving brilliant visibility.......of the nearside ditch and motorway gantries.

LY 172
Haha. My best mate did his MOT course a month ago in Exeter, and asked about HID kits. The reply was, if the car was fitted with washer jets as standard they need to work, if the car has self leveling it needs to work, if the beam pattern is correct and the bulb is of the correct type (eg H7.). Then it's all good for a pass.

The small print is that HID bulbs produce more Lumens than the legal limit. But this can't be tested. So it's an auto pass.

LY 172
So, like my cup

It didn't have washers, or self leveling. Therefore they don't have to work.
WIN.

My only problem is my exhaust sounding "non standard"