ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fresh install

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
If i am to do a fresh install on my mac, will i loose items such as microsoft office, music i have saved, photos etc?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I was under the impression you do a back up via time machine before doing a fresh install, then just bang it all back on there.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
hmm, must go look for my external hard drive

ahh what the hell I've been a good boy this year.. can anyone recommend one up to £50?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Also, when i installed lion, i never made a boot disk. can i do this now? or will i have to use my snow leopard disk and buy lion again?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I want to do a fresh install as I'm upgrading the ram, so want to make thinks 'like new' but don't want to loose documents, photos, and music.

FYI a normal reinstall will leave your home directory intact, so you won't lose anything. You'll just get fresh system files. However, if there were any files causing issues in your home directory, they will remain.

Either way, when embarking on something like this, you should ALWAYS backup your data. In fact you should always have backups anyway. I use Time Machine, and I also periodically take proper hard copies of my entire home directory and put them on a different drive even to my Time Machine disc. Mostly because my business data is literally priceless. If I lost my business data it would be a career shaking event.