ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fried or not fried.....

172, maybe
Hi All
So, I managed to put the wrong cables on when I tried to jump the car..... Smoke, panic, and resultant dead car...

54 plate 182...

Changed battery and the central locking etc all works, key to position 2 and all the dash lights go on and off as normal, but rotate key to crank and nothing happens.. No crank, nothing.. I originally understood that the immobilser allowed a crank but no spark, but I'm now less sure because of the below....

I convinced myself it was the ECU, so whipped it out and sent it off for testing. It came back "untestable" - they couldn't get into it to test, which aligns to the fact I can't get an ODB reading either. I know the previous owner frigged with the mapping so I don't know if the dongle I've got has locked the ECU out.

So, I was about to throw it at a garage, but today the car half cranked and then didn't catch.... Queue my surprise... More research into the imobiliser and at some point the logic changed on them so you do get nothing at all.. The imobiliser lamp stays solid red on all key positions which I also read is an imobiliser tell tale...

So.... ECU or Imobiliser.... (Or wire to it)...

dan's cast offs.
check fuses under the bonnet...i've never hooked jump leads up the wrong way and blown a fuse by the way :cool:

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
What's the best check... Run a voltmeter either side, zero PD means it's ok?

Set to 20v, put red test lead on the positive cable on the side of the starter after the fuse (thickest one). Then earth the black lead to the battery or body and see if you get a reading. If not then thats your problem.

Accessories/ECU etc get there power from the smaller positive cables that are split off before the fused link so would explain why these work.