ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

from a 172 cup to a ph1 172

hi im thinking of selling the cup to but a cheaper car and i was thinking of a getting a ph1 172 i prefer the looks to the ph2 but what are they like to drive compared to the cup will i be disappointed?
thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You will have to spend on the 172 to make it worthwhile. (Mounts, belts, joints etc)

Pointless exersize imo.

Example: Sell your Cup for £4k (assuming its mint low miles and had belts done)

Buy a cheap 172 (uptogether ones with low miles and history are fetching upwards of 3k) for about £2k and it will either need servicing/brakes/belts/tyres....

I personally wouldn't bother, but its up to you mate. :)

Some say the ph-1 is the best drive out of all the 1*2s. The only way to tell is to drive one and see for yourself because it all boils down to personal choice at the end of the day.

not driven one, but it's the model i'd have gone for if i'd not originally been set on a Cup

with Daniel - can't see the point in changing up for more-or-less the same car; you might 'make' a little money out of it, but "better the devil you know" i'd be thinking

M2 Competition
You will have to spend on the 172 to make it worthwhile. (Mounts, belts, joints etc)

Pointless exersize imo.

Example: Sell your Cup for £4k (assuming its mint low miles and had belts done)

Buy a cheap 172 (uptogether ones with low miles and history are fetching upwards of 3k) for about £2k and it will either need servicing/brakes/belts/tyres....

I personally wouldn't bother, but its up to you mate. :)

He speaks sense. I sold a minty mint cup needing nothing for an old beemer, and wish i hadnt! I miss the cup, and have spent loads on running old cars that will always need something doing to them.

If you're a budding mechanic/ are going to tear it to bits for a track car do it, if not, keep the cup.

well i am a mechanic which helps and i no what your saying with keeping the cup but i fancy a bit of a change and a ph1 seems like a better option to save a bit of money but as you say i could end up buying a dog and loose out

320d
I'd keep the Cup. My ph1's what i'd describe as a good example however it needs belts, full service and mounts doing, which will cost me £600. Then needs a wheel refub so in total about £750 add that onto the £2400 purchase price and then your up to £3150. In reality not worth changing. Ok then it will need no maintenance other than an interim service in the next two years but still a big outlay for a cheap car.

Likewise I wouldn't go from my ph1 now to a cup because I wouldn't want to do all the work all over again as most will need all of the above doing despite being a couple of years newer.

I'd probably look to upgrade to a newer 182 probably a trophy if I was to go to another 1*2, which won't happen as i'm looking to keep the 172 for a couple of years then move on from 1*2's.

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
I had a look over a ph2 for sale just yesterday, inside, outside had a drive and to be honest i wouldnt swap my ph1 for it in a million yrs.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not a great difference in age, so I'd imagine the cup will soon need all the bits mentioned. Standard for standard I imagine the cups the better drive.

Monaco 172 (02)
I have been thinking the same.
I could ideally do with £1000 to pay a years insurance as Im planning on renting a pad soon. But, it really isnt worth it. Like for like (70K good condition FSH etc.) Ph1 may make me £500 or so but then theres the risk of buying a car with faults you dont know, I know mine has no faults so its a bit of a gamble.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Have you tried a Williams? We have a Ph1 and a Willy 1 and even though the 172 is boosted and far far far quicker, the Willy is the car we prefer to take out for a drive. Much more raw, more direct, more fun basically.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Pointless tbh, you will probably end up spending what you have saved gettings things working on the replacement. Im talking from experience here :( I sold a car for 6k and bought a 106 Gti for 3.5k, spent at least another 1k on the 106 over the next 6 months, so abit backwards really.

Monaco 172 (02)
Have you tried a Williams? We have a Ph1 and a Willy 1 and even though the 172 is boosted and far far far quicker, the Willy is the car we prefer to take out for a drive. Much more raw, more direct, more fun basically.

They are fetching strong money as well.
Most have over 100K on them and aren't they a bit prone around the arches? Mint ones can go for good Ph1 money if not more.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I love Williams, still want one imo :) Loved my minto 32k Valver when I had it.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
They are fetching strong money as well.
Most have over 100K on them and aren't they a bit prone around the arches? Mint ones can go for good Ph1 money if not more.

arches are prone to rust, but then Mk2 Clio's are starting to do the same as well in fairness. I'm simply going by which is better to drive and more fun.

Williams will still be worth something in a couple years time too, our Ph1 will be worth whatever the mods are lol

53 Clio's & counting
I have a Ph1 172, and my patner has a 05 plate 182, hers is quieter, but hers is std, where as mine isn't, but personally, i dont think they drive any different