ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

From a broken e91 325i to a Moon Mileage 335d ...

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
Facelift rear lights make them look a million times better. I’m orobably gonna upgrade mine
I’ve just put a wrap on mine to get rid of that white bit and looks quite good IMO for £10 I think it was. Thought the actual light upgrade was quite expensive.

Last edited:

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I’ve just put a wrap on mine to get rid of that white bit and looks quite good IMO for £10 I think it was. Thought the actual light upgrade was quite expensive.
Yeah it’s a new bootlid required. I’ve priced it up and it’s about £150-£200 for the rear conversion. Not terrible

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You really, seriously, need help.
I just like the variety ?
That didn’t hang around long at all! And neither did you ? looks smart in black.
I’m going to get myself on this PH thread you keep referring to as seems where most of the dealing seems to be!
It does mean having to go on PH forums tho.
Have fun: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=1686320&i=0
Everyone seems to hate the PH forum, but i find its really rather simple format quite refreshing compared to some!!
233k, nice. My old 320d had 251k on when I sold it
That makes me feel like im not the only nutter in the room, thank you!!
Haha awesome. Still on the original turbos?
Yup, its had all new vacuum lines, waterpump, thermostat & glow plugs/controller fairly recently, but the main hardware is all original.
Is there an e9X variant you haven’t owned yet?
Has he had the e93?
Havent had an e93 as above, never would either, absolute turd wagons.
Engines wise, ive had N43 320i (e92 company car), N53 325i (e91), N52 330i (e90), N57 330d (e92), N54 335i (e90), M57 335d (e91) & S65 M3 (e90) and am a firm believer that if its a BMW with less than 6 cylinders, you might as well not bother ☺

Had a better look over the car this morning, is actually in very good condition!! The previous owner was a bit of a detailing geek apparently (it has "Waxstock" stickers on it whatever the f*ck that is) so barring the front bumper/bonnet, the paintwork is lovely. Barely even swirled considering its black!! Sparkly black (its sapphire), but still black.

Also, considering it originally came with the "base" speaker setup (which is frankly awful compared to HIFI/Logic7), its does actually appear to have MB Quart components, underfloor subs & rear speakers fitted, so im assuming it used to have an amp powering the lot - purely as i cant imagine that 500 quid of speakers would normally sound this poor ... luckily i have a Philips DAP6040 amp under the stairs from my teenage years, so will try and work out how to fit that i think! The CIC headunit has also been upgraded with a larger GB storage SSD harddrive, so does definiately run a bit faster than my other one.

Driving wise, the first impressions of the gearbox is exactly how i remember from the 330d, i.e. i really want to flash the gearbox with XHP Stage 2 software ... unsure if thats wise on the mileage, its had an oil change, but still... engine wise, umm, well, its obscenely quick for a diesel ... once rolling its ??? ... although it does smell a bit like a ????

Still have a Bilstein B12 kit in the shed. maybe itll go on a car at some point lol.

Yup, its had all new vacuum lines, waterpump, thermostat & glow plugs/controller fairly recently, but the main hardware is all original.

All standard stuff then which you have to do on E9X's then really. Well other than the vacuum lines which is pretty much standard for the 35d engine.

Goes to show what great motors they are if looked after.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Had a bit more of a poke around with the 335d yesterday, purely as the underfloor subs didnt seem to be working.

After removing the front seats, i was pleasantly surprised to find a set of MB Quart's staring back up at me, along with some wiring to the boot, where, despite the tell tale signs of power and earth leads, there is no longer an amplifier. Removal of the door cards showed that the car actually has an MB Quart QM200.3 setup fitted in the front, with the matching QM100's fitted in the rear doors - always nice when you find £500 of speakers that you didnt know about!

Being that ive had an "BMW Alpine HIFI upgrade" in my e92 330d and have/had Logic 7 in the 335i/325i, i think i'll leave the MB Quarts in and purchase a TechnicPNP 2/4 harness from the US and an Alpine MRV-F300 (or similar) to power them - that should give quite a nice sound from my research on e90post.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Nice surprise. I have logic 7 or whatever it is but I’m not overly impressed with it tbh. Have you looked anymore at the auto box flash software?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Nice surprise. I have logic 7 or whatever it is but I’m not overly impressed with it tbh. Have you looked anymore at the auto box flash software?

Have a look at these settings for the L7, helped my sound no end: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161120
Also https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42672 and https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44583

Re: XHP, i'll probably start driving the car properly from the 1st July (in order to decide whether to keep this or the 335i longer term), but my initial thought is that if i do decide to do the upgrade, due to the miles on the car, id want the autobox sump/filter/oil changing first. It is a very very good modification though, i would certainly recommend it for yours if its available!!

Also, next time you have a spare 10 minutes, disconnect the battery, remove the airbag & steering trim and swap wires 1 & 3 in this connector block:
48142578611_98d4a9a64f_z.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

That will then convert your "push for down" "pull for up" gearchange paddles into the correct/M3 style setup:
48142667327_f6d0172bcf_z.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

I did mine yesterday, the standard setup does my head in o_O

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Have a look at these settings for the L7, helped my sound no end: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161120
Also https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42672 and https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44583

Re: XHP, i'll probably start driving the car properly from the 1st July (in order to decide whether to keep this or the 335i longer term), but my initial thought is that if i do decide to do the upgrade, due to the miles on the car, id want the autobox sump/filter/oil changing first. It is a very very good modification though, i would certainly recommend it for yours if its available!!

Also, next time you have a spare 10 minutes, disconnect the battery, remove the airbag & steering trim and swap wires 1 & 3 in this connector block:
View attachment 1424089
Untitled by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

That will then convert your "push for down" "pull for up" gearchange paddles into the correct/M3 style setup:
View attachment 1424091

Wow didn't realise it was that easy to change the paddle function!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172

View attachment 1424089

View attachment 1424091

A fountain of knowledge! Thanks mate. Yeah I couldn’t understand the paddle function at all initially, made no sense

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Lol you've got some serious BMW issues. Can't beat a tourer though. That's some serious mileage. What plans have you got ?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Standard "ive bought a BMW" essential maintenance post:

Air Filter :ROFLMAO:
48403659017_30c6e43ea0_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
48403453071_99f42f3248_c.jpg
48403600432_9e7ca69624_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Pollen Filter
48403600612_a1e077f089_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

MAF was reading properly either, so bought/fitted a new one:
48403511211_5b025ecf13_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Have also purchased a Vibe Powerbox 60.4 to power the MB Quart speakers properly. There is a chap called "Technics" in the US that makes an easy amp retrofit cable but at £100 its a little too rich for me, so will be making up something myself. Another update to follow later on in the week hopefully regarding that.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
you're lucky it had a pollen filter at all.

When I got my 320d years ago there was no pollen filter in there, despite it having full BMW service history.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You're f*cking nuts.

I'm low key glad you have this now though, you'll learn all about it and then I can pilfer you for info when mine breaks. Win/Win.

You NEED XHP, as you mentioned. I had the box serviced first, new sleeve and full fluids too, then flashed the tune with that link you sent me and a cheap tablet. They're insane with a little tweakery, I'm still shocked by mine sometimes with the XHP and Burger box. In gear it's just savage, it doesn't even feel like an engine, more like a turbine.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I bet if you check every E9X logbook in the UK the previous owner is all the same person... A bloke called Dave ? ?

This also doesn't help me either @Rojer , I've wanted a an E90 335d for a while? Time to fire up eBay, AT and *GULP* Facebook Marketplace

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I bet if you check every E9X logbook in the UK the previous owner is all the same person... A bloke called Dave ? ?

This also doesn't help me either @Rojer , I've wanted a an E90 335d for a while? Time to fire up eBay, AT and *GULP* Facebook Marketplace

As much as i like the 335D and turbo tuning in general, i don't wanna take the risk and just go NA lol.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
As much as i like the 335D and turbo tuning in general, i don't wanna take the risk and just go NA lol.

If you're going to do it then the M57 cars are a good shout. 325/330/335d all had them, just only the early ones. All 335ds are M57 in the E9x.

Epic engines though.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
They're insane with a little tweakery, I'm still shocked by mine sometimes with the XHP and Burger box. In gear it's just savage, it doesn't even feel like an engine, more like a turbine.

Funny you should say that ... a friend has had his 335d redone recently (wasnt happy with the smoke from the old tune on cold start). Turns out they hadnt turned off the EGR properly :rolleyes: Black line is standard, blue is old file, red is latest BWChiptune version. Needless to say, his is a monster :ROFLMAO:

48479246087_9082234dfe_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Deffo needs to put XHP on it though, whilst its ballistic in gear, it does feel a bit slushy when its doing its torque convertor thing.

Back onto mine ... Vibe amp is now fitted.
48479246312_2fe283ca07_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Wiring diagram - this is essentially the same as this: https://technicpnp.com/product/stereo-24-harness/ but for £20, not £100.
48479254102_5a3545cc4e_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Naturally the headunit doesnt have pre-outs, so you need to take the full range signal from the underseat subs using the following connectors: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SE...SEAT-SUBWOOFER-CABLE-ADAPTER-SUB/362146766206
48479246142_09498f048c_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

At the amplifier end, you merge the left sub level wire into channels 1 & 3, then right into 2 & 4 to power just the front components/underseat subs using all 4 channels - with the rears still being powered by the headunit. By using an amplifier with speaker level input and signal sensing (to turn it on) you avoid having to use convertors/remote wires.

Initial wire up and test:
48479097436_5651171839_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Bit more tidying:
48479246222_a1647e9aa3_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
48479097426_c769323078_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Finished:
48479097401_0441b68486_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Sound wise, i dont think its quite as good as Logic 7, but probably a bit better than HIFi and on a different planet to the cr4ppy base system (y)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Any updates?
Yeah, he’s put wood in it......

lol, not in this i havent!! The LCI seats have silver stiching, so wood just wouldnt work ;)
No real updates on the car though - done about 2k in it since purchase (is now on 235k), mostly scooting up/down the M3 to Basingstoke to see Sarah's parents. Currently averaging 43mph, which considering the mileage/power available is frankly ridiculous.
Have bought a combox for it, but not fitted as of yet ... plus need to give it an oil change (y)
Oh and i need to clean it, havent done it since i bought it lol.