ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front Brake FAIL! HELP!

03 RS clio 172 flameR
ok, i had standard brakes, then uprated to KTR fast road cross drilled disks with ultimax pads, these were not hardcore enough so i brought some braided lines, better brake fluid and some mintex 1144 pads, as many will know these pads need the backing plate filling down to fit, which me and 172ben did, admitedly they were a little tight still but still slit all the way in. the disks are still the KTR fastroad cross drilled ones.

now my problem, in the last couple of weeks, (had them on about 4 weeks) they have started to squeel, not just when breaking, but when driving normally, and if i didnt know any better my MPG has dropped considerably, its not a constant squeel when driving, its a pulsating squeel, it goes away when i touch the brakes a little bit.

any ideas as i have a big motorway drive tomorrow and a trackday on weds and its driving me mental.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Indeed, it can mess up more than it can help in most cases. It always gets mentioned when fitting new brakes. Was just asking if it was used.

I'm sure it was the cause of seals of the pistons going on one of my cars.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
sounds like they're binding on when hot - ie you haven't given them enough clearance in the carrier

fred, you know everything, would i be correct in thinking i could do with fileing a bit more backing plate off so the move better in the carrier?

Lionel Richie
yep they have to be free to move in the caliper, use a feeler gauge, about 1mm should be enough, if you can't slide the pads in and out of the carrier and be able to wobble them up and down, then you haven't removed enough

03 RS clio 172 flameR
yep they have to be free to move in the caliper, use a feeler gauge, about 1mm should be enough, if you can't slide the pads in and out of the carrier and be able to wobble them up and down, then you haven't removed enough

Thanks fred your a legend, one last thing, if that doesnt work could there be a chance the disk is warped? i havnt done a track day and rarly give it death?