ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front hub issue

Taipan

ClioSport Club Member
Morning all. Long time lurker, out from the shadows.

I am due at Snetterton on Monday. I have what I think is a front wheel bearing issue though. Be grateful of any advice.

I have just popped on two new (used) front hubs and front bearings (brand new). NSF is fine; no play.

OSF has about 2mm lateral play 12-6. As with NSF, everything is fully tight except the hub nut, which is hand tight. Car is still in the air.

If I look at the back of the hub when wiggling I can actually see the bearing moving in and out about 2mm. NSF bearing has no perceptible movement when I wiggle.

Other than a duff front bearing, could anything else cause this - tracking will be miles out as suspension was all apart for hubs but no wiggle at all with previous OSF hub.

Could it be a damaged hub carrier rather than bearing, as I can’t see how a brand new bearing would have lateral play?

Taipan

ClioSport Club Member
Before the bearings were put in you mean? If so, I didn’t, they came as part of the NLC RCC kit.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah okay, sometimes if the bore has been cleaned out the bearings will not be tight. How did they feel going in?

What torque are you also putting on the hub nut? Slightly unsure whether you've tightened either at the moment?

Taipan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah okay, sometimes if the bore has been cleaned out the bearings will not be tight. How did they feel going in?

What torque are you also putting on the hub nut? Slightly unsure whether you've tightened either at the moment?

Fully torque hub nut and you may find the play has gone.

Tighten the hub nut to 280Nm and if it still has play it'll be shagged.

Consensus! And potentially rather embarrassing for me. 😖

I'm not with the car at the moment but I shall get it back on the ground and tightened back to 280nm and reassess wobbly situation.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Consensus! And potentially rather embarrassing for me. 😖

I'm not with the car at the moment but I shall get it back on the ground and tightened back to 280nm and reassess wobbly situation.
Get them somewhere near torque before putting the full weight down.