ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front n/s brake keeps overheating

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Good evening!

I think I need some advice here. Last week I noticed my front n/s brake was making a lot of noise and found the brake disc and wheel were hot after parking up. O/s was fine, just been to the shops.

Thought it might be a stuck piston so refurbished the caliper with a kit from Biggred, slider pins were fine but replaced them as well anyway.

Just went out for a drive again and the n/s brake disc is still getting way hotter than the o/s disc (sizzling compared to just a bit warm).

Jacked the car up and the o/s wheel turns fine with the wheel on, the n/s one stops after about half a turn when spun in the air. Got the brake pads out, spun the wheel again and then it turns fine and there's no wobble if I move the wheel when in the air (wheel bearing ok?).

Any ideas what else could cause this? Could it have something to do with the master cylinder?

Car seems to stop pretty well without pulling to any side altough I have no comparison of stopping power to other clio 182s.

Running standard discs with ds2500 pads. These pads have a bigger contact area than the standard pads they've replaced, going all the way to the edge of the disc, is that normal?

Any ideas welcome as I've kind of run out!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Right is the pad free in the caliper pad carrier? If it’s not, grind off the edges of the pad so it has some up and down movement in the carrier. You want around 1-2mm of clearance.

Other than that it could only be a master cylinder/abs issue.

Regards the pads running all the way to the disc, there’s actually 2 types of ds2500. They’re both the same spec, but one runs all the way to the edge. It’s nothing to worry about. 👍🏻

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ah forgot to mention that I did grind off the edges with the Dremel so yes there should be some play, but I might need to shave a bit more off.

Everything looked clean and free though when I took it all apart for the refurb.

You wouldn't happen to have a spare master cylinder lying around that I could pick up would you? ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ah forgot to mention that I did grind off the edges with the Dremel so yes there should be some play, but I might need to shave a bit more off.

Everything looked clean and free though when I took it all apart for the refurb.

You wouldn't happen to have a spare master cylinder lying around that I could pick up would you? ;)
Afraid not mate!

Reactions: MLB