ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front wheel bearing removal

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Just wanted to deliver a word or warning. Don’t have your drive splines zinc coated, there is just enough factory clearance to suit Renault OE wheels bearings. Once you coat, there is inadequate clearance unfortunately. Which I learnt on the rear splines. Had to revert back to unzinced splines which luckily I had spare.

Pic below shows what happened when I tried to mount an OE Renault rear disc which pressed in SKF bearings as delivered from Renault.

Those surfaces are usually hardened finish from the factory and should never be plated. Even if there was clearance.

Wrap them in tape and plate the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
While fighting my way to the geabox Ive removed my hubs and my god they are crusty! One of the bearings is very rough too so looks like an over haul is in order. So deox bath with the berings still in is ok? I think I'll just buy new drive flanges rather than fook about cleaning theose up. SOme very helpful info in here guys(y).

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, TBH bearings in or out - My first set I did with bearings out but left them in for way too long which is why I had issues. Second set bearings in. Bearings were equally hard to get out of both sets. If you've got a friendly sand blaster near by even better!

Last set I did I pressed the drive flanges out and blasted the hub carriers with bearings in so as to not damage the bore followed by a warm citric acid/deox C bath for 4-6 hours to f**k off the last remains of crust. (y)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
We use a prep/ painter at work but I'd probably be waiting months for them to be sent out! A bit of wire wheel and deox should suffice and I can take them to work to press the bearings.