ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front Wheel out further than opposite

Excuse my terminology bare with me. Front left wheel is scraping on the arch, checked to see if a thicker tyre was fitted as I've had it before with a larger sized tyre scraping on a car in the past. Front right is fine. It's as though the whole tyre is fitted wider than the others. It doesnt need alinging, it's not pulling to one side or anything etc and the top and bottom are equally out. What could it be?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Have you taken the wheel off? Any recent work done, you had the car long, has it Allways been like that?

Had the car about a month but not really drove it much. I haven't had the wheel off no and no work on the wheel area done. Will have a look tomorrow. I aren't too clued up with cars. Is it something that I could take off myself? Just a case of wheel off, bolts off spacer and take it off?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah very easy mate.

Loosen the wheel nuts while the car is on the ground, not all the way off though.

Jack the car up and remove the nuts and wheel. You will see if the hub has a spacer on there. Can you upload pics of how it is now?

Took it to my mate for a bit more work today and to inspect the wheel. He can't find anything. No spacer, nothing broke, nothing where it shouldn't be. It's definitely out further than the rest, I'll try find a picture....

image.png

image_1.png

Had to use the pictures off the ad when I bought it.

Car was in last week had a good thorough inspection/service etc and a new timing belt and other stuff, went back in for a look at the wheel and he can't see why it's like it is.

89 scirocco mk2. He said he couldn't find anything so I'm just going on that. There's definitely something wrong. No tracking has been done it hasn't needed it as far as I'm aware

89 scirocco mk2. He said he couldn't find anything so I'm just going on that. There's definitely something wrong
Snapped spring/bust top mount?

If not, somethings bent.

It's on coilovers at the minute and we are talking about putting it back standard. Maybe something to do with them. I know the coilovers are buggered he said and he couldn't really adjust them. We spoke about putting some Bilstein coilovers on but they are a tad expensive.

182cup & 172 racecar
You sure this hasn't got camber bolts fitted .
Plus, at least have the wheels straight when taking a picture, oh you didn't take them did you.
Take a pic from ground level from the front.
But basically your wasting everybody's time .

172 Ph1
Pretty sure when working on these back in the day ,the camber was slightly adjustable on the standard bolts . So if an un knowledgable person put it back together . There's an issue right there with the camber.

You sure this hasn't got camber bolts fitted .
Plus, at least have the wheels straight when taking a picture, oh you didn't take them did you.
Take a pic from ground level from the front.
But basically your wasting everybody's time .
Oh did someone get out of the wrong side of the bed. I did mention I had to use a picture from the sale as I didn't have any at the time last night it was just to show roughly how it looked at the time, but guess what I will take some perfect pictures just for you tonight to keep you happy.
You bought a 27 year old car? But yet your mechanical knowledge isn't even as good as talking a wheel off? Good luck with that!

I was asking about spacers if you read properly. I didn't realise car knowledge should determine what cars you can/can't purchase sorry mate.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Anyway.

By the looks from the above pics it does seem to be something mentioned above. My advice would be to get it tracked and you will know the issue, hopefully. Look forward to pics of the car, we had one when i was a lad, lol. In blue :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Don't need to be perfect, but do need to see both wheels.
And, do you know of you have camber bolts on there?