ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel economy - or lack of

Mk1 1.2 & Mk1 172
My wife has an N-reg 1.2 8v Clio (Mk1 PH1)

It seems to eat fuel. £45 quid's worth lasted 222miles, which can't be right as my old Beemer managed 380 miles off the same amount... and that had a 2.5litre engine.

Any ideas?

Clio MK 4
with my 172 i do 270 miles or so with 45 quids worth. so ye for a 1.2 that sounds pretty bad.

is it all town driving?

Mk1 1.2 & Mk1 172
with my 172 i do 270 miles or so with 45 quids worth. so ye for a 1.2 that sounds pretty bad.

is it all town driving?

Crikey. Do you rag it everywhere? I got 100 more than that in my old 2.5litre BMW and I get (when running) 400 from the same in my 172!

Clio MK 4

is it all town driving?

Crikey. Do you rag it everywhere? I got 100 more than that in my old 2.5litre BMW and I get (when running) 400 from the same in my 172!

no i dont get it either mate. one week 160 miles was motorway driiving and still only got 270 miles or so from 45 quid.

Doesnt seem to matter how i drive i never get more than 270miles

W

wickedbitch

My wife has an N-reg 1.2 8v Clio (Mk1 PH1)

It seems to eat fuel. £45 quid's worth lasted 222miles, which can't be right as my old Beemer managed 380 miles off the same amount... and that had a 2.5litre engine.

Any ideas?

I asked steve about this last night for you and he said theres deffo a problem!
We didnt take the convo any further as he worked from 11am until 9;30pm yesterday so was pretty whacked when he got back but ask adam(fat boy;)) next time you speak to him

Clio RS 172
Even when I drive my 172 with a heavy foot I manage to get around 38mpg as an average. or 300ish miles for £35.... Can manage to average nearly 50mpg on my 20mile drive back from work.!! but we all know thats no fun...

Clio 182 (Black Beauty)
38 mpg when youve got a heavy foot. youre foot must weigh about 1g then lol. if i rag it then 24mpg is average. if im a baby i can tootle and get 30mpg. ive never seen it at 40 nevermind 50!!! lol. i should maybe do a long drive at 55 in 5th with the air con off and windows up hahaha, maybe thats where im going wrong

172 A Cupwork Orange™
38 mpg when youve got a heavy foot. youre foot must weigh about 1g then lol. if i rag it then 24mpg is average. if im a baby i can tootle and get 30mpg. ive never seen it at 40 nevermind 50!!! lol. i should maybe do a long drive at 55 in 5th with the air con off and windows up hahaha, maybe thats where im going wrong

lol same here the cup does on avg 300 miles to a tank and avg's 25-30 mpg no way i'd ever see nearly 50 jesus he must drive like miss daisy :rasp:

ph1 172
normal driving in my vavler i get about 26-28 on long journeys and 20 in town.
normal driving for me is not normal driving for most

lol same here the cup does on avg 300 miles to a tank and avg's 25-30 mpg no way i'd ever see nearly 50 jesus he must drive like miss daisy :rasp:

I don't think i've got a cat in hell's chance of seeing 50mpg!!! Not even driving like my mum. She's got a 1.2 Punto and gets 55mpg driving seriously economically so to get just 5mpg less from my Cup sounds impossible. I get 36mpg round town driving fairly economically with the odd blast and just over 40mpg on my last long run.

Back to the 1.2, I'd probably be expecting 45mpg round town and 50mpg on a run for anybody with a fairly average driving style. Sounds like you're getting half what you should be. I think i'd have a look round for a leak somewhere and also check out all the induction side of the engine. Any sort of blockage may be screwing up the fuel mix.

Last edited: