ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fuel for 197 only super unleaded

225 & Audi S4
Just found out from a renault manager that the 197 can only use super unleaded or optimax and not just unleaded, its f**ks the engine up, email from renault UK

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I wont be a problem running the car on std petrol as the ECU will reset itself to use the std fuel.

cock mobile.
Just like a 172 / 182 then.

Also all engines in the UK have to be capable of running on 95 RON by law.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Yeah just like the 172/182 does. My trophy has only ever been run on 95ron from the day i bought it, and it has never had a problem. I think its just renault playing the cautious card, as they will test the engine and the car using 98+ so as to get the figures that they print.

The only cars which benefit from running anything more than 95, are high performance turbos, or exotic cars such a Astons/Ferarris.

In one of the Car mags they did a back to back test, with a golf GTI and a Impreza using all of the different brands of fuel, and the differences were so small that in some case the 95 ron performed better than the 98+

It is also well known that depending how long 98+ fuel has been stored at the petrol station, it degrads to a point that it is no better than 95ron.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Erm, well thats the biggest pile of b****cks I've heard all day. You should know by now not to believe what Renault say.

It's called manipulation. The Renault man is trying to make the customers (blokes) think that their car is UberSpecial and NEEDS special petrol and everthing. Personally I do use 97/98 in my 182, but I know it can run on 95, as can the "197" which will soon be known as the "185"

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
They said it about the 172 as well, mines been running on 95ron since new, no problems what so ever.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
It would make more sense if they said just use Shell Optimax, as it has the best cleaning properties of any fuel.

Renault make me laugh, some of the crap they come up with.

tiTTy & SV650
well a 172 has 172 ps a 182 has 182 ps so chances are the 197 is 197ps

replace 'has' with 'is supposed to have'

DC5
I thought Renault were bragging about having the special 100ps/ltr, making it 200ps. Therefore being 197bhp.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Jeremy Townsend said:
The fuel recommendation for the 197 is 97 or 98, not 95. The handbook is being changed as is the sticker in the fuel filler flap

^^^^ Don't believe everything you read mate , especially if its written by Renault , lol .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Jeremy Townsend said:
My answer wasn't really for you, it was for any 197 owners !

Oooooh , wrong side of the bed or what , lol . Go through life believing everything your read and hear then . 95 ron will be fine in the 185 / 197 or whatever its called , lol :rasp:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
blink172 said:
No, he really is. pMsl

I dont remember his exact job title, but its something like Head/director of Marketing, Renault UK.

^^^ Seriously ??? Even more reason not to believe him then , pmsl ;)

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
It's illegal for manufactures to sell a car in the UK that doesn't run on 95RON, so I won't believe that mate

cock mobile.
PMSL, Mr Billy UK got owned by Jeremy!!! :clown:

98 was the recommended fuel for the 172/182 as well, there's been numourous threads about which petrol to use, I always ran mine on 97, at the end of the day, you don't buy a hot hatch and stick in cheap fuel, so I would go by what Renault say.

cock mobile.
Dan 172 said:
It's illegal for manufactures to sell a car in the UK that doesn't run on 95RON, so I won't believe that mate

But it's not the recommended fuel, list up people! :evil:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
sh33n said:
PMSL, Mr Billy UK got owned by Jeremy!!! :clown:

98 was the recommended fuel for the 172/182 as well, there's been numourous threads about which petrol to use, I always ran mine on 97, at the end of the day, you don't buy a hot hatch and stick in cheap fuel, so I would go by what Renault say.

Do you mean " was " or " is " recommended ? If they recommend 98 ron why did you use 97 ron ?? :rasp:

cock mobile.
MRBILLYUK said:
Do you mean " was " or " is " recommended ? If they recommend 98 ron why did you use 97 ron ?? :rasp:

Well... was for the 172, and is for the 197 :p

Because Optimax would be a 40 mile round trip to go and get, a bit of waste if you ask me, 97 is readily available at a few garages around me.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Tbh i'm not bothered what the 197 runs on , cos i won't be buying one , imo they look crap .

I had an invitation to drive one from my local dealership , but i was busy that night , i was washing my hair , lol ;)

cock mobile.
Jeremy Townsend said:
There is a difference. 172 and 182 can run on 95, though the recommendation is that they run on 98.

197s should only be run on 97 or 98, not 95

Well I guess that's straight from the horses mouth so clears that up :approve:

Jeremy Townsend said:
There is a difference. 172 and 182 can run on 95, though the recommendation is that they run on 98.

197s should only be run on 97 or 98, not 95

So as stated in the opening post in this thread, 95 will "f**k the engine up"? Is this the official line from Renualt, Jeremy? Because if it is, I wont be buying any second hand 197s that have used more than the first tank of fuel :dead: Where do you stand on warranty issues then?

Sorry but the notion that a production engined hatchback cannot use normal pump fuel is preposturous surely?

MRBILLYUK said:
Tbh i'm not bothered what the 197 runs on , cos i won't be buying one , imo they look crap .

I had an invitation to drive one from my local dealership , but i was busy that night , i was washing my hair , lol ;)

Well that's your loss mate, the 197 is a superb car to look at, be in and drive. At the risk of repeating myself though, the one I drove felt slow. Not even close to my 182Cup in terms of straightline urgency. A superb car otherwise though :approve:

Ziel Nurburgring
Given that the millionbillion fuel threads on here always turn out with 50% of people running the 1*2 on 95ron, even though the fillercap says 98, it would suggest 50% of 2nd hand 197's are going to be f*cked then.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Our 197 demonstrator has been run on Super since day 1, getting better and better with mileage, (its done about 900 now)Yesterday our dumbass driver put £15 of normal 95 unleaded in and the difference was unreal...Kangarooing everywhere, spluttering, and it felt strangled. Needless to say, This morning it has been filled with optimax!!

Scirocco GT 210
Roy Munson said:
the one I drove felt slow. Not even close to my 182Cup in terms of straightline urgency.

Maybe that was because some monkey at Renault accidently put 95 RON in it :clown: