ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel (pressure?) issue - Engine cuts out without warning

172 RaceCar, VW-T5
Evening all,

Ive had this problem crop up on the last two trackdays now, roughly around the same millage into the day with half of tank burned.

In short what happens is the car suddenly without warning looses power and cuts out (if you dip the clutch). Literally like the fuel supply gets cut.

When this happens, the fuel gauge in the car readlines even though there is half a tank left in the car.

The two times this has happened, we have tried killing the car with the kill switch, switching ignition on off etc to no avail the fuel gauge just flickers slightly then stays rooted in the red.

The car will crank fine, but it wont fire at all.

I have been able to 'fix' this at the track on both occasions but popping the fuel rail connector off and de-pressurising the fuel system (at least this is what it feels like as the connector kicks off fairly sharpish).

Once I do this, and reconnect back up the fuel gauge jumps straight back up to half a tank and the car starts straight away as if nothing happened..

Has anyone else come across an issue like this before? Given how releasing the pressure solves the issue I imagine I am getting some form vacuum build up, or perhaps too high of a pressure building in the lines (please take it easy on me if I am talking rubbish :eek:)?

The car is standard from and engine / fueling perspective, and is still running the carbon canister etc.

Any ideas, pointers or help is greatly appreciated as I really need to get this sorted and tested on track before the start of next season :)

Thanks in advance!

-Alex

172 RaceCar, VW-T5
I have checked the wiring, and i didn't see anything that looked concerning.

Out of curiosity if the fuel pump was packing in would that explain the fuel reading?

not questioning what your saying just not familiar at all with fuel systems on cars.

clio 172 phs 1
It's a strange one as the pump and the float although joined together in the tank,run seperately.

I suggested checking the wiring as I'm sure they both use the same earth.

when it cuts out are you losing voltage to the pump?

172 RaceCar, VW-T5
I'll recheck everything just incase. Thanks

yea it's a real strange one as the issue happened with pretty much half a tank both times (although it could be a coincidence I guess).

and disconnecting the fuel rail and reconnecting sorted it.