ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FUEL PRICES - SO BLOOMING INCONSISTENT!

Clio 172 Mk2

I normally use BP Ultimate (98 RON) or Shell Optimax (98 RON).

But Im getting a bit fed up of paying 90p per litre!!

Now I have discovered that Esso Super Unleaded (says 97 RON) sells for just 86p per litre here. Now... is it really worth paying more for Shell or BP?? Esso petrol is supposed to be quite good quality.

500bhp Scoob

i just go for the cheapie unleaded stuff, think its 93RON.

81.9p is cheapest round here

Clio 172 Mk2

Quote: Originally posted by Chewy on 24 October 2004

u lot are lucky, over here its 87/88 ppl. And thats for 95RON
87p for regular unleaded?? Thats scandalous!!!

U know we do group buys on Oil here (actually... I need a couple of bottles of Silkolene Pro S 5w40... ) If someones got a tanker handy... why not just pop down to France... fill it up... and bring it back!!! Well save a fortune LOL! :p

car? need a license 1st!

Quote: Originally posted by biglunn on 24 October 2004
Quote: Originally posted by Chewy on 24 October 2004u lot are lucky, over here its 87/88 ppl. And thats for 95RON

[/QUOTE]87p for regular unleaded?? Thats scandalous!!!

Your telling me!! I went down to liverpool the other day with my dad and its like 79p down there.

Its been bugging me badly for a bit now, i never used to bother looking at the prices, just fill it up or whatever. But since the prices have been going up and up and up ive been taking more notice.

At BP in clitheroe, the fuel prices went up 3 times in one week a couple of months ago. From 81 to 85p per litre. Its stupid. So i dont go to clitheroe for fuel anymore, i always make sure ive got enough fuel to get to Brownhill BP in Blackburn, where its a little cheaper.

Quote: Originally posted by biglunn on 24 October 2004

u lot are lucky, over here its 87/88 ppl. And thats for 95RON
87p for regular unleaded?? Thats scandalous!!!

U know we do group buys on Oil here (actually... I need a couple of bottles of Silkolene Pro S 5w40... ) If someones got a tanker handy... why not just pop down to France... fill it up... and bring it back!!! Well save a fortune LOL! :p
Nah theyd just add duty to it when u re enter the country,can get away with it in ireland though

Quote: Originally posted by Dean on 24 October 2004

i never take note of fuel prices?

any1 else not botherd by it!
Didnt untill i noticed one day that my local garage where i usually fill up is 6p a litre dearer than the Shell garage in Coventry, by uni, so guess where i go now

wales?
More expensive there than anywere near I live.

You dont need 98 Ron fuel for a 172/182 there not high enough tunned to be affected by knock.

SO long as the engine doesnt knock you can use any fuel Id stick 95 in or whatevers cheapest from Esso etc. Keep away from the private garages and supermarkets personally.

golf

Funny that as it says use 98RON on the filler cap!! Ultimate is 97 ron mate and its 92p/ltr over here. Use optimax anyway! Never tried Ultimate.

Skoda Fabia vRS

172/182 were designed to be run on 98RON, why anyone would put in anythin less is beyond me..........its like filling the engine with cheapo 20W-50 oil and then expecting the car to run fine and last a lifetime

I dont really pay much attention to the price as Ill still have to buy the stuff anyway. Might have to start paying them some attention though as the V6 gulps the stuff down in ridiculous amounts, and ideally should be fed 97/98RON I guess.

They were actually designed to run on a MINIMUM quality level of fuel, which is probably closer to 93ron. Why, because they cant gaurantee the petrol source in the heart of china (yes the do sell them there lol).

However, they reccomend 98 as what would give the least trouble.

VaVa

I try to put the premium stuff in when I can (much more convient for me to fill up at a supermarket though). I have to admit that I cant tell the difference one little bit. No difference in performance or MPG.

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 24 October 2004

172/182 were designed to be run on 98RON, why anyone would put in anythin less is beyond me..........its like filling the engine with cheapo 20W-50 oil and then expecting the car to run fine and last a lifetime
and it makes bugger all difference, cheapo stuff all the way for me.

near me at stourbridge theyve got a strech of road where they got an esso, shell and texaco within about 200 m covering all 3. petrols cheap as none of them can put the price up without losing to the others. you just take your pick. :D

Sunshine Bus ph-quick

i look at it like this..i have to buy fuel,regardless,so i just chuck it in without really paying attention to prices.

what kind of fuel economy should i expect from a 1.4 RT?

Clio 200 Cup packed

OPTIMAX all the way fer me, not arsed about the price, if i was bothered about fuel cost id of bought a diesel.

and just for the record my 182 does not like BP ultimate at all, but i only used it the once, never again though..

You people are lucky. I use Q8 super unleaded at 97p a litre!!! Is it worth it or can I use normal unleaded in a 172 (sorry for the stupid question, but Im newe to the car and the site)

Elise/VX220/R26

Mugs the lot of ya, I use almost exclusively asdas finest 95 ron, get the same 1/4 mile time with that as I do with optimax. I think its one of the biggest trades descriptions cases ever waiting to happen. 98 RON does NOTHING.

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 25 October 2004

Quote: Originally posted by cliopower on 24 October 2004

Sainsburrys super is BP ultamate so buy it there at 84.9p
Is this true??
Have a look when the tanker pulls up. Yes, its a plain white tanker but notice that the drivers got a BP uniform on.

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 25 October 2004

Ahhhhh.... I will try to have a look next time I see one!

If this is the case then its a bonus as I always fill up at sainsburys! :cool:
Yeah - Sainsburys is definitely the cheapest - it was 83.9 when I filled up yesterday..

Embarrassed to say

Its 89.9p for optimax at boremhamwood shell and 88.9p a little further down the road at apex corner shell.

If you run a evo on anything less than SUL it seriously effects performance perhaps not so much with a clio but i think there is a difference. I was always told never to fill up at supermarkets unless your in a £10 quid banger because they dont clean their tanks. Also i read somewhere (i cant remeber now maybe someone can clarify) that one should not use optimax all the time but use 4 tanks of premium for everyone one tank of optimax.

LY 200

I DONT USE OPTIMAX OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT BUT ALL I CAN SAY IS I WASNT VERY PLEASED WHEN I HAD TO FILL UP AT CLACKETTS THIS MORNING AND IT COST ME 87.9P PER LTR JUST FOR NORMAL PREMIUM UNLEADED!!

i have a BP super saver card gets me 2p off ever litre! thing is i cant use it as there are no BP garages near me lol mostly SHELL (booo!)

anyways i normal fill up at sainsburys/safeway > ALL COMES FROM THE SAME PLACE~! >SHELL/BP

petrol round me is around 81.9p (sainsburys)

Ford Fiesta

paid more than ever before last night for a tank of optimax, 92.9PPL on A1, £43 it cost me to fill the 182.

OUCH.