ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fuel pump mystery!?

renaultsport clio172
hi, every time i go to start up my 172 phase 2 the fuel pump doesn't kick in until i turn the ignition on, turn it off again and then turn it back on. ( if this make sense) does anybody know why it does it?

its bloody annoying!:S

renaultsport clio172
no it never start first time, it just tick over but when i try again it then starts. do u have any idea y mate? cheers

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Sounds like the TDC sensor fault to me?

I can never here the fuel pump prime up anyway, so not sure what you're hearing.

renaultsport clio172
ok il get that looked at, also i can hear the fuel pump prime up which come from under the car but only when i do the ignition thing (on, off and back on again)

renaultsport clio172
no dont think its a whining noise, its more like a deep humming which last bout a second, sounds like it coming under the front seats or there abouts as soon as lights on the dash come on when key is turned to the first stage

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No idea then, nothing I've ever heard car makes loads off odd noises though lol. TDC sensor is common fault that stops car starting first go, my old 172 did it to.

Have a search for TDC sensor, should be few threads about it

PH1 172
Fuel relay in the engine bay not working properly? Replacing that could help (one of the brown box relays). I know what you mean about fuel pump priming noise as I can hear mine every time

BMW M135i
Sounds more immobiliser related than anything else, does the light go out in the clocks when it won't start?

It only happens if you lock the car unclock it turn ignition fuel pump not prime if your turn ignition off then on it primes if you lock car then do it it happens again heard a few people's phase 2 do it normally as I thought it would never start first but it does just sum times not in morning first time

Golf GTD Mk7
try swapping the relays around. Can't remember if the 172 ones are the same as the 182, but the fuel pump is a small black relay closest to the headlight. Just swap it for one of the others and see what happens.