ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel pump not engaging when turning on ignition.

1998 Clio RT
Ok so the title has the issue in it, when switching on the ignition the fuel pump is not engaging.

Car worked fine until Thursday morning, halfway to work the car suddenly loses engine power, after a few attempts to start again it turns over and starts running, another half a mile and it cuts out again but this time it won't restart.

Friday morning car started on first attempt but cut out after a second and now back to not starting.

Have checked fuel pump fuses and relays, swapped them over and cleaned the contacts and still no joy, engine cranks but won't fire, there's a spark at each plug aswell.

What else can I try before replacing the pump? If that's even the right direction to go in.

Clio RT - 1.2 - 1998

clio 172 phs 1
If there is not feed to the pump then there is no point in replacing it......Sounds like a wiring fault somewhere.....need to get the wiring diagram out!

1998 Clio RT
It's either the wiring or the pump, unfortunately I have no way of testing either at the moment. Trying to get hold of a diagnostic kit to check if any errors show and with a hope this will pin point the problem. Other than that I have no idea what I should be checking (even with a wiring diagram to show me what's what)

On that note, are there any wiring diagrams on the forum?

1998 Clio RT
I should have one tomorrow (along with the diag kit) but like I say don't know what readings I'm looking for, I can take a guess that im looking for a positive reading at fuse, relay, pump etc but that won't get me anywhere if I'm wrong.

Hate car electrics, give me a part that needs changing/fixing and I'm ok but not the electrics :banghead:

1998 Clio RT
Ok so diagnostic machine showed that the fuel pump was not switching on at any point as suspected.

However when checking with a voltmeter there is 12v at the connector that goes into the fuel pump when the ignition is on, nothing when the ignition is off.

Is there a way to test the fuel pump on it's own, ie out of the cars wiring to verify it is fked?

clio 172 phs 1
Yep,if you know what wire is the feed and which one is the earth, give the pump a feed and earth and listen for it priming,

1998 Clio RT
You wouldn't know which is which would you, haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for the pump.

1998 Clio RT
You wouldn't know which is which would you, haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for the pump.

Obviously I know which is the live but want to double check I have the correct wire for the earth.

275 Trophy
I think it's pretty obvious that your fuel pump needs replacing. Get a second hand one off a breakers, should only be a few quid.