ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel rail nut rounded off

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

I tried to take the fuel rail guard off a few weeks ago to change the oil filter but one of the nuts appears to be rounded off.

I've tried a six sided socket but had no luck. What's the best way to get it off (the other nut is fine)?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Beat a 9mm onto it

Cheers will give it a try

Do you have imperial sized sockets in your set you can try?

An Irwin bolt grip may or (probably) may not fit in the hole. If not suitable for this occasion, certainly worth putting on your Xmas list as when next in a similar position they are worth their weight in gold sat in a drawer ready.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-bolt-grip-nut-remover-set-5-pieces/96028

Thanks I'll have to order that for future use. I currently use the 170pc Halfords set which has a selection of imperial sockets. Worth trying those too?

Are u sure it's round off mine had 2 different size nuts on. Try going down a size

Had a look with a mirror, same size but definitely rounded.

Cheers will give it a try

Thanks I'll have to order that for future use. I currently use the 170pc Halfords set which has a selection of imperial sockets. Worth trying those too?

Had a look with a mirror, same size but definitely rounded.

That's a pain in the arse.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Can anyone help with any suggestions of removal when one of the nuts is spinning but not coming off? Can they be removed with an air gun fairly easily?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Can anyone help with any suggestions of removal when one of the nuts is spinning but not coming off? Can they be removed with an air gun fairly easily?
I doubt you would get an airgun in there, there is no space. I know you got one nut off but are you sure the socket is actually gripping the other nut. There is not a lot of room in there and I find stubby and thick sockets wont actually go all the way down the hole and on to the nut.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Will have to have a play around later in the week, I have ordered a new set of the bolts and nuts to put back to original but have a feeling this is the cause of my rattling / vibration and the shield seems to loosen up at different temperatures. Thanks for the help as ever ;)

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
A 15mm nut has been put on the thread on the side that is spinning, the actual head of the bolt is not rounded it just seems to spin and not come off, but as per optical the socket may be too big to fit in and remove.

PH2 172
A 15mm nut has been put on the thread on the side that is spinning, the actual head of the bolt is not rounded it just seems to spin and not come off, but as per optical the socket may be too big to fit in and remove.

15mm ?????????????

The studs are 8mm thread. The Renault 10 mm headed nut is an oddity.
Standard 8mm nuts are a 13 or 12mm socket size.
Try with deep thin walled socket in these sizes.

I have never encountered a 15mm headed 8mm nut.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I know 1 is 13mm and the other 15mm!

Once I get the damn thing off I will be replacing both studs and nuts with genuine!

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, they're a 10mm nut as standard.

Same nut as the exhaust manifold ones iirc.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
On my 172 the original nuts were 10mm. When I replaced a broken one, the replacement from Renault was 13mm.

......the actual head of the bolt is not rounded it just seems to spin and not come off.......
Any chance you have actually undone the stud from the block and that's why it seems to be spinning?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Got the shield off last night relatively easily and it was an 11mm nut and 14mm nut, no doubt from when I had an oil change a while ago.

The replacement nuts are 10mm with a washer attached, all fitted back correctly.