ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel tank position? Regarding to Welding.

Just a quickie. Talking to a guy I know, who's going to be welding my floor plates in for my cage.

He hasn't seen my car yet or the position, but said to check the position of the fuel tank and find out whether it needs to be removed whilst welding??

It hadn't even crossed my mind to be honest. Wouldn't have thought welding inside the car would affect anything on the outside?

Opinions and experience, talk to me..

What cage is it?

I had an OMP fitted to mine and you have to weld in floor plates in the usual places for the main hoop
We shoved some fire proof matting between that panel and the fuel tank and just took our time. Had the car jacked up with someone underneath keeping an eye on it and a bottle of water to spray on any areas that started getting a bit warm

Tbh the underseal is worst as it sets on fire when you start welding unless you scrape it all off before hand

Get some decent undersell as well so you can brush it back on when the weld has cooled or it'll all rust

Safety Devices from Mr Fish.

I'm sure it's probably the same place for the main hoop. Right back into the corners of the floor before the raised section?

I'll mention about putting a layer of fire proofing in between the floor and the fuel tank to him then.

With the underseal, he's a body shop repair place so I'm sure he can deal with all of that for me. But are you talking about the sealant on the underside of the car or is there sealant on the inside too?

Yeah just the underseal on the bottom of the car - If you don't clean it off first it just catches fire lol
He should have a tin lying around to just brush back on after

I'd recommend a thin metal sheet and a layer of fire proof matting - just wedge it between the tank and the wall you weld down.
There's about 10mm gap IIRC but it's worth doing as it gets fecking hot and the tanks plastic

The fuel tank is plastic lol!? Never would have imagined that.

But thanks. At least I know now, it had never crossed my mind originally.

I will plan on using a metal sheet and some damp fireproofing in the gap between the tank and the floor. Assuming that it will just wedge in and there are no bolts blocking the access.