ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fujifilm X100

I treated myself last week to a new Fuji X100

I used to use my Canon 17-40mm f4L as a "walking around" lens - but it was huge and heavy, especially on my 7D. I started to realise a lot of the times I wish I had a camera I didn't because my dslr kit was just too big and expensive to have on me all the time

So I sold my lens and bought an X100

6945068641_387cb5e774_b.jpg

Week 9 - X100 by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

Went over to Wales for the weekend to see the in-laws and decided to go for a bit of trespassing at an old colliery and a lead mine to see what it was like

6949267013_2f03e8374f_b.jpg

Bersham Colliery by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

6949665755_f75b0d6c80_b.jpg

We ignored this by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

6949670509_0b1035b04b_b.jpg

. by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

6949667161_e2d3f16869_b.jpg

Water Wheel by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

All in B+W as I'm going through a bit of a black and white phase at the moment lol. Love the fixed lens it's so crisp!

Headed over to a local river to try the built in ND filter and some long exposure shots on my gorilla pod

6949669547_d0e63741b1_b.jpg

Silk by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

Love this camera so much. It's so versatile. It's pin sharp on long exposure shots, pin sharp on landscapes, and at ƒ2 it's amazing for people shots

6949668117_8e487e29f8_b.jpg

Concentration by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

Can't recommend it enough if anyone is thinking of getting a decent walk around camera

9/10 easily!

Would love one of these or a leica x1, if I'm ever in the market for a decent 24mm prime lens I may just buy one of these and get a free camera back! I do love an articulating lcd screen though so it might never happen! Gorgeous Retro design, look forward to some colour output where I understand these really sing!

LOL yeah sorry mate - the colours are superb, i'm just going through an obsession with B&W at the moment
Planning some sunset shots in the local park later so if I get anything good i'll post it up

Astra VXR & Smart CDi
Lovely bit of kit, I came home from focus yesterday with its baby brother the X10, not had a proper chance to test it yet but first impressions are very good.

Lovely bit of kit, I came home from focus yesterday with its baby brother the X10, not had a proper chance to test it yet but first impressions are very good.

Nice camera - I had a play with the X10 for a bit as I kinda wanted the zoom lens and slow motion video features, but the high iso and low dof of the X100 did it for me

Only annoying thing is I've already got some dust inside the lens and looking online it's a common fault with the X10 and X100 - I guess they're just not built up to the same quality as the Canon gear I'm used to using :(

Bit of a bump....but I'm really tempted to get one of these. Love the idea of a fixed focal length small and light camera that I can travel easily with, as opposed to the colossal D3 + 24-70mm!!

Is anyone who bought one still using it, still raving about it?

All the reviews seem to be extremely positive, which is encouraging.

Damn - my mate just sold his yesterday - otherwise could have had that

2 MAJOR issues with them - one the lenses aren't very well sealed and you get dust on the sensor quite easily. Though obviously not an issue below F14 or so
The other is that the aperture blades can stick - so if you whack the camera in F22 and then back down to F4 - they stick open shut/open - my mate just had to send his back to fuji for a new lens but they do it for free

Other than that they're good. I sold mine and lost a fortune as you can pick them up for £400/450 on ebay now an they were about £750 when new

The new fuji - the X-E1 is mind bogglingly good - but a bit of a price bump again

I sold mine and got a Canon EOS M as I quite liked the idea of being able to use L class lenses on it - but the autofocus is disappointingly slow

Have you looked at the olympus pens? The pen E-P3 is around £450 and looks awesome

Dust?! Really? I thought it was a fixed lens? How does dust get in?

I just want a small but not a n00by point and shoot camera that I can take anywhere. This seemed like the best camera for someone already experienced in photography.

Dust?! Really? I thought it was a fixed lens? How does dust get in?

I just want a small but not a n00by point and shoot camera that I can take anywhere. This seemed like the best camera for someone already experienced in photography.

It's just a really poorly sealed lens - mine had dust in from factory (and on sensor)
The viewfinder fills up with dust quite quickly too lol

I'd go for an olympus pen mate - they look insane and have all the manual controls you'd need

I'm pretty much convinced I'll get the X100, I'll have to try very hard not to order one tomorrow for Saturday delivery lol!

Read lots of reviews, and all sing it's praises. Only niggles I've read are slow AF, which won't bother me too much as I'm not going to be using it for anything requiring fast AF....and slow write speeds to the card, which again wont bother me.

I must admit, whatever I get will take some getting used to, like the slower start up time, which won't be like what I'm used to on my D3 that's for sure!

I really like how it's pretty small too, which for travelling will be a godsend tbh.

We'll see.....

Are you buying new? If so the sticky aperture blade thing is fixed anyway

They are fantastic little cameras - I never noticed a slow AF speed. The EOS M I have on the other hand is shocking :(

This might sound really stuck up, but I would only ever buy new camera gear. Maybe second hand accessories, but lenses and cameras (and filters) would ALWAYS be bought new.

It's been out for a while, so I assume any issues would have been sorted.

That's my only other issue, is that I'm buying a reasonably old camera (as far as modern tech goes anyway!). I know it's not like Apple, where a new product is released every other day, but still....I'd be worried they bring out the X200 or whatever next month or so. BUT....I've still got a cracking camera even if that does happen.

hmmmmm

The fuji X-E1 is pretty much the X100 follow up. I don't think they'll do an X200

The X-E1 looks amazing but I couldn't justify the price tag

Agree with you about buying new too - but only up to a limit, I couldn't justify £1800 for my 70-200L so I bought second hand lol Plus they're built like houses and last forever

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Do you not have to buy a separate viewfinder for the pen?

I have the x10 and it's awesome. The Af is ok on moving objects but not as great as an slr. I'm really impressed with the fuji filters and the processing. EXR works really well.