ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full respray

2000 Clio 172
My has a number of dings on different panels, I am considering getting the dents and dings sorted and then getting the car resprayed. Does anyone have any idea at how much it would cost to do this, i appreciate you cant be exact, but am I looking at £500, £1000? (I have no idea)

Or would you advise against doing it i.e. will there be problems getting the right colour etc? I am happy to spend a bit of money on the car, its relitivley low mileage, has had a lot of work done to it recently and is mechanically fine.

I have a silver ph1 172.

Any advice appreciated.

SQ5
Depends if you want door shuts/under bonnet/arches/suspension turrets done, basic respray just for car on the outisde around £1-1.5k

Unless your willing to spend £2k or above, don't bother. Seriously. You can get places to do you a respray for £600, and they end up looking like they've been done with emulsion and a roller.

172 Ph2. Mmm...
Place near me does a full respray for 1300 and its perfect, all you have to do is give them the car, plus they sort out dents etc but not sure how much extra, dont go cheap with resprays as it will only end up looking cheap!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
fine somewhere thats recommended,

wouldnt look for value over anything else,
you get what you pay for (cept with the con places)
id aim for 1.5k at least,
anything else is suspiciously low

a good paint shop wont need to have rock bottom prices to get business,
a bad paint shop will.

may look perfect at the time,
but what will it look like two years on???

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
I had a full respray on a landrover about 6 months ago.............. £300! Wasn't too bad a job either! Thats mates rates though.

clio 200
paint is paint,and a good painter is a good painter

doesnt matter if u pay £500 or £5000,u need it to be prepped and painted my a good painter,so have an ask around ur local area for who is good and who isnt.doesnt matter the garage or bodyshop its the painter ur after.seen guys putting gr8 jobs out of a shed at the side of their house just because they know what they are doing.

any painter can put a job out shining like a new penny if its been flattened and polished to death.buts its the underlying work like repairs and prep of the shell thatll make it last m8.

so dont just go to an expensive bodyshop and expect it to be the best

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Originally Posted by clio142
a good paint shop wont need to have rock bottom prices to get business,
a bad paint shop will.

may look perfect at the time,
but what will it look like two years on???

This man speaks sense.

+1

ibiza cupra
paint is paint,and a good painter is a good painter

doesnt matter if u pay £500 or £5000,u need it to be prepped and painted my a good painter,so have an ask around ur local area for who is good and who isnt.doesnt matter the garage or bodyshop its the painter ur after.seen guys putting gr8 jobs out of a shed at the side of their house just because they know what they are doing.

any painter can put a job out shining like a new penny if its been flattened and polished to death.buts its the underlying work like repairs and prep of the shell thatll make it last m8.

so dont just go to an expensive bodyshop and expect it to be the best
i agree with most of that but when it come to paint you get what you pay for. if the paint is s**t then it will look nice for 12 months then it will fade and lose its depth, if you use cheap laquer then there is the chance of it just flakeing off (i had to do donnys whole front end because of this). plus the better the laquer, the more resistant it is to stone chips and scratches as it is harder once cured.

2000 Clio 172
Thanks for the advice guys. Ill get some prices. I have been recomended a garage a neighbour used for his Saxo VTR, which looks pretty mint.

Its same colour BTW.

Thanks again.

clio 200
i agree with most of that but when it come to paint you get what you pay for. if the paint is s**t then it will look nice for 12 months then it will fade and lose its depth, if you use cheap laquer then there is the chance of it just flakeing off (i had to do donnys whole front end because of this). plus the better the laquer, the more resistant it is to stone chips and scratches as it is harder once cured.

yeah i know wat i meant was it all gets applied in the same way basically.

definetly get decent paint,or a bodyshop that uses a decent paint system.had trouble with s**t paint/lacquer b4

wat colour is the car??

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Mine is being treated to external respray in a few weeks and I use a local bodyshop that i've used before and it will be costing £500-£600 - thats with me doing the prep and stripping down the car of all trim - to reduce labour time so they can just get on and paint it.

Definately shop around and make sure you see examples of there work - i've always found local motor factors to be a good place to ask for a good local bopdyshop.....thats how i found the bodyshop i currently use.

2000 Clio 172
yeah i know wat i meant was it all gets applied in the same way basically.

definetly get decent paint,or a bodyshop that uses a decent paint system.had trouble with s**t paint/lacquer b4

wat colour is the car??

Silver not sure what the exact type of silver it is.

cheers.

Silver is a cnut of a colour at times. Do it in a cheap paint scheme and there's a good chance it'll come out patchy as hell.