ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fuse layout engine bay fuse box

hi, to try and fix my windscreen washer pump sprayer not working (no power to it atall even though the wipers work-lights sprayer works though) i am checking all fuses. the book says nothing about a fuse for this pump. is there one? i opened the fuse box by the battery and found a loose fuse on its side not plugged into anything, could this be the culprit? thing is i dont know which fuse socket it came out of, has anyone got any info of what fuse does what in the engine bay fuse compartment? many thanks,

car is 2003 172 by the way...
ian.

SQ5
This might help?

569cfaf9-94b3-e380.jpg

that was quick! thanks ill check it out this morning... is that a pic of a 172 (non cup) just concious that cups may have less fuses...

yep mine looks exactly the same, i can only imagine someone left that fuse in there by mistake when replacing one etc.

cheers

ian.

SQ5
Fairly sure the washer one is in the passenger side for it. It a square or window screen shape with a fountain of water in front of it

ta, i checked the book and there is one for the wipers and the headlight washers but not the windscreen washers! i was under the same impression they use the same pump (wiper spray and lights spray). maybe the windscreen washer pump is not fused?

SQ5
It is the same pump that does both yes.

Checked for blockages?

Can you here it whirring when you pull the stalk?

no, no whirring. it started playing up -working intermittently a while back but now completely stopped. I thought the pump was on the way out but it cant be as the lights spray works strongly. when you pull the lever in the cabin the wipers do 3 wipes but no spray.

SQ5
Well it's the same pump that does the lights so it should whirr if the light ones are working ;)

I'd try getting a multimeter in the plug and seeing if it reads 12v when you pull the stalk, if it does then its the pump

Black Gold Trophy
Well it's the same pump that does the lights

It isn't actually, there's two seperate pumps. One does front and rear windows another one does headlights.

Also the headlight washer pump, is timed by the UCH. It will only power up if the lights are turned on and the windscreen is washed.
The fuse for the windscreen washer pump is not in the engine bay either, it is on the side of the dash with the others.

If the pump has slowly stopped working for the windscreen, I'd say you need a new pump

Last edited:
  SQ5
Well I never knew that, as people had posted on here asking for a pump with extra take off for lights

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I've seen the contacts in the wiring plug be at fault before, they've shown a good 12v feed but no power was getting to the pump at times, cut off a plug from a donor car and connected it up, had no issues once I'd changed the plug

Clio 182
I've seen the contacts in the wiring plug be at fault before, they've shown a good 12v feed but no power was getting to the pump at times, cut off a plug from a donor car and connected it up, had no issues once I'd changed the plug
They're showing a good 12v when activated, do you mean the plug that goes into the washer motors

Clio 172 Merc ML55
They're showing a good 12v when activated, do you mean the plug that goes into the washer motors

Yep the plug that connects to the washer pump, connections were playing up. As I said I soldered on another plug and all was fine afterwards

Clio 182
Yep the plug that connects to the washer pump, connections were playing up. As I said I soldered on another plug and all was fine afterwards
I found the problem, it was in the engine bay fuse box. Took them out and cleaned them now everything works fine