ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

G3 Clay mitt! Amazing (Few Photos)

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So I bought a G3 Mitt not long ago as I read good reviews. I enjoy giving the Clio a good clean so decided too have a go at using the mitt. I must say the things amazing, I have no idea how it does what it does but with G3 Detailing spray to lubricate it it works wonders!

At first I was panicking as there was some serious noise coming from the mitt like it was slowly cheese grating my paint beyond repair but that's normal and 5 minutes later with a quick buff from a microfibre cloth and the results are 10x better than what I was expecting! Such a bargain for £13.

After a few months of claying I decided to give the Clio and good polish and wax today and this is how it turned out. Did the Step dads Porsche he was that impressed with what it did on the Clio.

Sorry about the angles, went all trying to be a photographer on it! And it was pretty hard fitting both into each photo.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ive also just bought one of these mitts mate, today i gave the wifes Volvo a going over with it.

Very impressed.

your car looks great btw.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Brilliant aren't they mate! So quick and easy to use.

Cheers dude! A proper clean on it makes the paint look awesome

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
I've used it 5 times now and it's still going strong! Little helpful tip though if you use it on your windows use glass cleaner after it as I couldn't see a thing when I used my wipers haha. So much dirt and contaniments on places you'd never think (windows, door sills etc)

Last edited:

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Just to add, every month I've tended too use it but could stretch to 2 months easily.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That's cool, i'll have to invest as claying takes way too long for me as I spend so long on each panel.

So you basically just rub the paintwork like a wash mitt?

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Pretty much mate yeah, get some G3 detailing spray and then literally spray the panel rub the mitt over until it glides over making no noise or feels smooth then move on to the next panel.

Get a cold bucket of water and then just rinse it every now and again when your doing your car. Just so quick and easy it's ridiculous!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Nice to see somebody else who thinks the G3 clay mitt is a good product . So easy to use with fantastic results , so much easier and quicker than using a clay bar . I got slated off the detailing Police on here the other day for saying how good it is lol :wink: . They said it can't possibly give the same results as a clay bar plus it WILL mar the paintwork lol . It is a bit strange the first time you use it. Like you said , you can hear it and feel it doing it's thing , then all of a sudden you notice a difference as it glides over the paintwork and removes the contaminants . In my opinion it's one of the easiest things you'll ever use and leaves a glass like finish . I used a strong mix of shampoo in one bucket as the lubricant and kept dipping it in , and a 2nd bucket with clean water in to keep rinsing the mitt in after a few passes on each panel .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Agreed! It's frowned upon as its 'not a clay bar' but it's easier and gives the same if not better results. No marring no residue no damage to the paint! You can even use it on your alloys if your really going for it!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Agreed! It's frowned upon as its 'not a clay bar' but it's easier and gives the same if not better results. No marring no residue no damage to the paint! You can even use it on your alloys if your really going for it!
Anything that is easier , quicker and gives the same/better results has got to be a winner for me :smile: I never tried it on my alloys , but i tried it on the glass though and it lifted alot of contaminants off there too . Another very easy good product to try is hyrdo2lite . You might want to have a look at that . It lasts for ages . Basically after you've washed , clayed the car with the mitt then rinse off , while the cars still wet , spray this on and powerwash off straight away . It beads water just like a wax . It's supposed to last up to 3 months.

http://www.carpro.uk.com/hydro2-lite-ready-to-use-advanced-coating-1000ml/

Volvo S40
I'm a big fan of the G3 Clay Mitt also - it's about 1000x easier than using a bar! I've found you do need to keep the mitt or the bodywork well lubed though, have managed to transfer some of the clay to the car a couple of times (especially around panel gaps) and it isn't a lot of fun trying to remove it!

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Anybody tried any other G3 products with the mitt? The detailing spray works really well with the mitt

Clio 200t
Have been debating a clay mitt as as others have said, using a bar is irritating, particuarlly when you drop the slippery little bugger and have to throw it away -.-

Think this review has swung me, and I will be purchasing one.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Glad I can be of help for people thinking or now going for buying the mitt. I've seen @Knuckles as his level of cleaning and I barely know half of the products he names. I just enjoy the semi pro clean (none of this arch cleaning and stuff) and that's how I came across this mitt! And for the price aswell. Any halfords you go into will have a G3 stand with all there products! Will it be 3 for 2 aswell it might be worth going for 3 things even if it's just the mitt that takes your fancy

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I have one of these, I've just finished giving the car a panel by panel workout over the last few weeks/washes (I only do one panel with each full body wash as I give it a full on polish/seal/wax after and time is always a limiting factor for me). I wash it first with the G3 body prep shampoo and also use a that diluted as a lube.

As a complete amateur who just enjoys doing what I do to my car for me it's perfect. Quick, easy, effective. So what if it introuduces some slight marring/swirl marks that you need a 1,000w halogen light to see, I don't own a 1,000w halogen light nor do I intend to so that's not an issue for me.

I use one too. Store it in a Tupperware box to prevent anything sticking to it.

Much easier than clay. I'd suggest doing the usual tar decontamination iron x etc before rubbing the clay mit over the car.

Great thing with this is you do.t have to dry the car like with a clay bar. Just wash the car, then use soapy water as lube too and get straight into using the mit! Take a half hour instead of 2 hours.

I believe you can 're use it often. You just wash it out.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I used the one from autosmart in work. Initially it was good and was used on other cars before I used it again on the saab I had. It seemed to do it no favours really so stopped after the rear quarter. Now it may be how it was used by others or picked sonething up etc, but did put me off using it again. I would like to do the cup at some point so I may try this

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Won't the car need waxing after if you have removed all of the crap from it?

And is it the G3 detailing spray used as a lubricant? Does this give better results or just soapy water as @LiquidYellDan has just said do the same job?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Ant what's your thoughts on these mitts? I was thinking of getting one

I think they are good. This or the Carpro one and you can't go wrong.

I still keep a block of soft clay just in case but it is significantly easier with the cloth. From memory you have a DA so if it leaves any marks (like a claybar) you can get correct it.

Well if he's claying every month then he needs guiding as that is very obviously wrong or will I be hurting his feelings because he's in love with the new mitt?

Judging by the recent detailing thread I would probably go with the latter!

Won't the car need waxing after if you have removed all of the crap from it?

And is it the G3 detailing spray used as a lubricant? Does this give better results or just soapy water as @LiquidYellDan has just said do the same job?

Yeah. The whole idea of claying is creating a clean surface ready to polish wax etc.

The packaging actually tells you to use your usual car shampoo mix to lube, or a QD. And you just use it then as you would a normal wash mit,.... dunk in your soapy bucket and wipe car down.

Seems like a waste of QD otherwise.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
I'd say 1/2 months I'll be honest, the G3 detailing spray use is recommended with the mitt so I thought obviously these people know so used it as a lubricant. Soapy water would do the same job though I guess but I just went by the book with what they thought personally!

Obviously if your a proper detailer or spend 4+ hours on your car then you could just use a clay bar but for me an hour of cleaning rinsing claying with the mitt and then polish and waxing is enough for me to be happy with the results.

I haven't had any residue left on the car from using the mitt or the detailing spray and it's literally as smooth as

I know there's purists who go the try and tested with the bar but the mitt is just as good in my eyes

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Mitts are brilliant. I'll never go back.

I wouldn't however use it as frequently are you are, and only use it when fully detailing a car