ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear box crunching!!!! HELP!

titanium 182
Hi, im new to this side of french cars after owning 7 saxo vtr and vts's in the past! My last one being a vts with won nitrous kit and many other mods running around 180 bhp. Ive just bought myself a clio 172 cup on a 52 plate with 44k miles on it. It is a lovely car but ive noticed if i rev it past the 6k mark and the over-revving light comes on then it crunches slightly from 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd and then 3rd to 4th!!! If i drive it normally or just take it up to around the 5.5k mark it doesnt happen. Ive done my reaserch and found its a very common problem and something to do with the sincro in the gearbox. Im planning a gearbox oil change asap but does this sound like a 2nd hand box time to you?? All help very much appriciated, thanx, Chris.

A gearbox oil change will let it be a little smoother but if its crunching your shifting to fast or your box is failing. Its a common fault as you have said and a 2nd hand box will most likely suffer the same issues.

You can just shift slower or get your box refurbished from a trader on here.

1st/2nd/3rd crunch at high revs is a common trait. Also I don't think your rev limiter light should be kicking in that early, unless it's not fully up to temp (not the dash gauge), a good 15-20mins running time sometimes, mine doesn't show til it's north of 7k rpm once up to temp.

Hope that helps :D

titanium 182
I was thinking the same if i buy a second hand box!! Thanx for your reply mate, how much am i looking at for a refurb, is there anywhere local to me ( north east?? )

titanium 182
Sorry i ment to say 7k when the rev light comes on!! I would never drive hard until after a good drive anyway when everything is up to temp. I hadnt noticed it on the test drive as i wasnt really thrashing it but last night it crunches in the gears i mentioned, i think its a start of a problem as driving slow or just slightly enjoying yourself its totally fine!! Thanx for the repy btw.

275 Trophy
The gearboxes don't take kindly to fast changes at all. You sure your not monstering it a little too much?

titanium 182
The gearboxes don't take kindly to fast changes at all. You sure your not monstering it a little too much?

Ha, ha, possibly, but i used to beast my vts's and there box's are renownd for being made of chocolate and never had any problems!

Ha, ha, possibly, but i used to beast my vts's and there box's are renownd for being made of chocolate and never had any problems!

Is your box making any funny sounds or whining? Honestly mate if it annoys you alot then get it sorted but its common. My brother had a 106 gti and they are weak boxes but the change can still be made fast. Just it a little slower when changing I bet it wont do it anymore.

clio 172
you are driving a clio now not some saxo crap ! Be nice to it ! and the fact you owned 7 says it all really ! :rasp:

titanium 182
Is your box making any funny sounds or whining? Honestly mate if it annoys you alot then get it sorted but its common. My brother had a 106 gti and they are weak boxes but the change can still be made fast. Just it a little slower when changing I bet it wont do it anymore.

If i put the clutch down and let the revs drop off for a second before changing then its ok, i know how to drive ive done it for a living for years and have had my licence nearly 9 years but shurely a quick gear change with the clutch fully depressed shouldnt make the gears crunch, im no clio expert but it doesnt seem right?

you are driving a clio now not some saxo crap !

Modifications
Lowered 35mm, powertec induction kit, KTR front brake kit, 17" wheels

hypocrite-1.jpg

[/keyboardwarrior]

;)

Last edited: