ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear oil

RenaultSport clio 17
My clio 172 cup has developed a very stiff and sticky gearchange. This can sometimes crunch when changing gear quickly.

It doesnt appear to be a syncro mesh problem as it isnt consistent in any gear, and it only happens occasionally.

Clutch also appears fine.. (usual tests etc)

It has been recommended that I change the gear oil to fully synth 75/90 as the car has done 65000+. The standard oil is mineral based and probably way passed it's best.

Has anyone tried this out to cure a notchy box?

Chocolate Bar™
will be changing mine soon, but only to prevent further wear and tear from old / crappy fluid. asked edde what sort of different it would make, and he likened it to 'stopping it feeling like your stirring a pot of treacle' quite apt i reckon. probably worth changing it over before going onto anything else.

not sure what grade it uses, but ill be ordering some royal purple off demon tweeks for mine.

As Middo says I've chnaged mine in both my cars the WIlliams didn't make much different as he box had quite new stuff in it the 75/90 Millers did make it a bit more mechnaicla less like stiring glue.

On the diesel it make more of a difference since the gear oil was 72k old so came out looking like crude oil and with a similar consistancy. Since the diesel is standard no quick shift you could give a better idea as to what it was and it feel mechnical again not like sloppy but its still no VAG/Honda gearbox.

75/80 is the offical stuff it takes about 3.5 liters. I 've used 75/90 along with many other people and its fine Millers stuff is very good I've used there engine oils a lot befoe and there superb stuff. Its not cheap £40 or so for 5 liters (shop round as Demon Tweeks want £44) But Royal purple is even better just its even more expensive at £50.