ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox/Clutch or Pads/Calipers Noise?

JRK

Cliosport 182
Just bought a 54 plate 182 and just at the point that I begin to move in either direction there's a single "clack" sound, sometimes two. Quite noticeable. Seller tells me it's the pads moving in the calipers. Brakes work normally.

As I'm a novice I'm not sure and have had a lot of bad luck with cars so I'm naturally fearing something worse. I'm worried it's something to do with the clutch or one of the mechanisms that takes the power from the clutch to the wheels. Or worst of all, the gearbox?...

Apologies for my lack of knowledge. Just hoping I haven't been sold a pup. How could I resolve this? If it is the pads moving in the calipers is this a problem and will it sort itself if I have the pads changed?

Jim

clio 1.4 16v 02
Just bought a 54 plate 182 and just at the point that I begin to move in either direction there's a single "clack" sound, sometimes two. Quite noticeable. Seller tells me it's the pads moving in the calipers. Brakes work normally.

As I'm a novice I'm not sure and have had a lot of bad luck with cars so I'm naturally fearing something worse. I'm worried it's something to do with the clutch or one of the mechanisms that takes the power from the clutch to the wheels. Or worst of all, the gearbox?...

Apologies for my lack of knowledge. Just hoping I haven't been sold a pup. How could I resolve this? If it is the pads moving in the calipers is this a problem and will it sort itself if I have the pads changed?

Jim

Is it defo coming from the calipers?

The brake pads should not be moving m8, doubt its that. could be a drive shaft maybe.. does the car drive as it should? also is it lowered, mine is lowered and I get a knock when I turn because the strut moves slightly which is common and not to be worried about.

JRK

Cliosport 182
Thanks for your thoughts m8. Car isn't lowered and handling seems OK. Think it sounds a little lounder from the F/O/S wheel but my bro thought he heard it from the R/N/S, still in both directions. It's going in a garage on Wed. They also suspect drive shaft. Although a forth opinion I've had is doubtful it's the drive shaft since it's doing it in a straight line...

JRK

Cliosport 182
Turns out it was the drive shaft. Didn't need a replacement but some fixings were worn and some bolts loose.