ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Drain Plug

When i get back from offshore i’m planning on changing my gearbox oil on my 172.
Is this the drain plug on my gearbox ?
See pics below?
And am i right in saying that the airbox has to be removed to refill it ?
As there is a plastic wing nut car/plug thing on the top of the gearbox that you refill through ?
Image005.jpg

Image012.jpg

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Much mate, i don't know the answer to your problem, just thought you'd have more chance of getting the answer you need if people could read it.

Ph1
Easier with the airbox off but if your filling tube is flexible then you should be able to pop it in the filler hole from underneith the car

PH1 172 Sport
That is the drain plug and its easier to get to the wing nut with the airbox out. The wing nut is on the side of the box. DO NOT fill the box through the breather hole ontop as you will have a nightmare finding the right level.

Lots of Alfas
Thats the drain hole. Youll need a funnel with a long flexible pipe on it to fill it back up.

I think you can fill through the breather hole if you want, but the wing nut still has to be open so you know when to stop.

1.2 16v Dynamique.
Thats the drain hole. Youll need a funnel with a long flexible pipe on it to fill it back up.

I think you can fill through the breather hole if you want, but the wing nut still has to be open so you know when to stop.

Exactly ! My clutch is out at the minute and I plan on removing the wing nut and filling then from the breather. As soon as oil starts coming out, BINGO !

Lots of Alfas
You cant miss it, its a white or black plastic nut on the front of the gearbox. Dont forget to get a new washer for the drain plug.

Ph1
Anyone got pics of the fill plug and wing nut ?

The correct fill hole is the wing nut.

Wing nut is easier located from under the car, infact, its just round the corner, front side of the engine and up a bit from the above photo's lol

To fill up you'll need to come in from the top ooooerrrrrrrr lol

The correct fill hole is the wing nut.

Wing nut is easier located from under the car, infact, its just round the corner, front side of the engine and up a bit from the above photo's lol

To fill up you'll need to come in from the top ooooerrrrrrrr lol

Ok cheers :)

You cant miss it, its a white or black plastic nut on the front of the gearbox. Dont forget to get a new washer for the drain plug.

I had a look at the top of gearbox and i can't see any white or black plastic nut on the front of the gearbox.

All i can see is some sort of plastic breather tube :(

this.jpg

it's in the front of the gearbox casing, behind the right-hand-side of the radiator - you'll need to remove the airbox