ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GEARBOX GONE or just selector Please help :(

renaultsport clio 182
I cant select any gear other than first and will not move into position for any other gears, i have played about with the selector under the car but still cant select other gears, any ideas, and if the box is gone what options do i have spending the least amount of money, cheers

renaultsport clio 182
thats what i was expecting any ideas how hard it is to refurb these with the right kit, i am quite gd with my hands mechanical wise, or just dont go there. how much are refurbed boxs to buy

340i
rebuilt gearbox is £275+ at Agencey Transmission services.

new clutch and release bearing £100 - £120

gearoil £20~

then your taking 7hrs~ labour to remove and refit...

Plus any other items that may need replacing when the box comes out?!

Where in Derbyshire are you?

340i
thats what i was expecting any ideas how hard it is to refurb these with the right kit, i am quite gd with my hands mechanical wise, or just dont go there. how much are refurbed boxs to buy

unless you have all the gear to rebuild boxes, decent set of pullers etc. I would not entertain the idea of repairing it yourself!

renaultsport clio 182
In heanor m8 any info and help would be gd, my original plan was to buy a refurbed box then get it on the car then hopefully rebuild mine to sell on but that seems more hassle now u mentioned the work involved, thanks for the help btw, was actually selling the car but now this has happened looks like im gonna have to take it off sale for now, cant believe it , i mean the box was a bit tempremental but it litterally just went when got in the car from turning the car over ???

340i
ahh I only live in Alfreton... :)

I have done a few gearbox replacements on the 172's, 182's.

Don't bother buying another box, get yours taken out... rebuilt by Agency Transmission services, they are speedy for turn around! It took them 2 days to rebuild mine.

renaultsport clio 182
nice just down the road, did u used to have the 172 with orange wheels by any chance , if i just wanted the box rebuilding and no clutch or anything replacing im looking around 300 then, when taking the box out im guessing the subframe is coming out to, will i be able to do it on my drive with ramps or do i really need a lift, again m8 thanks for the info really just dont know how to go about all this.

340i
yeah that is / was me ;)

Agency is £275 +vat for a rebuild... depending on what needs replacing would obviously change the price (if there is major internal damage!!)

Subframe dropped and removed...

airbox removed, batter, ecu brackets etc.

gearbox mounts removed

dogbone mount removed

Battery tray removed (I think)

all associated loom, sensors etc. removed

then unbolting the gearbox / starter motor.. pull the box out etc.

not something I would enjoy doing on a driveway with jacks and axle stands, but not impossible!

I did mine in a friends garage over a weekend....

340i
Is there any noises coming from the gearbox when you try to select gears etc.?

what noises does it make when in first gear? can you engage drive in first?

renaultsport clio 182
Sound, well i probs gonna start sometime this week taking it out, just been on the agency transmission site, not a great load of info so will gve them a call at some point in the next 10 mins lol, thanks again grey, if i come across anything else im not 100% about while taking it out il drop u a pm if thats ok , doesnt sound to much hard work , more of a time issue, cheers

340i
Agency transmission services are old skool! :)

two guys that run the place... IIRC they start work at 6am and finish at 3pm

if your really struggling with anything let me know, I may be able to pop over as you are local!

330i. E30 Touring.
Not the hardest work to do on axle stands.

Just make sure you get the car high, as the box is normally easiest coming out of the bottom.

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL. Most of the work on my own cars is done with a can of Stella/Fosters by my side.

Makes me think straight. (;

renaultsport clio 182
great, well just been on the phone from what i told him he seems to think the damage is minimal and said should be 275 + vat gonna start today as the weather is good and try and get as much as i can get done while alone then hopefully some time in the week get it sent down to them, might be driving it down as only a hour and half away, yea would be great if u could pop down if get any problems m8, will keep in touch through the whole thing.

I cant select any gear other than first and will not move into position for any other gears, i have played about with the selector under the car but still cant select other gears, any ideas, and if the box is gone what options do i have spending the least amount of money, cheers

Had the same type of problem, It was driving fine and then it would only go into 5th. I messed about with the selector and linkage but nothing. Turns out it was some bush that had failed near the gearbox or something a very small one. Not the upper and lower gbox mounts as I replaced them. Cost me £100 to get it fixed. Might be that?

renaultsport clio 182
really, Dblock i dont wanna sound to forward but for ease and siplicity is there any chance i could get in touch with you so u could explain how you found this out and how you cured it, would really appreciate it :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Agency are spot on,Martin is a good guy and will not rip you off.Don't forget to mention Cliosport and Burpspeed when you speak to him.

340i
Had the same type of problem, It was driving fine and then it would only go into 5th. I messed about with the selector and linkage but nothing. Turns out it was some bush that had failed near the gearbox or something a very small one. Not the upper and lower gbox mounts as I replaced them. Cost me £100 to get it fixed. Might be that?

Not sure what this bush could be?

The only ones I can think of is...

upper gearbox mount

dog bone mount

lower, front gearbox mount

?

I think there is a small rubber on the selector arm where it joints the socket on the gearbox?

renaultsport clio 182
your welcome to come see the symptoms m8 im in all day lol, just really dont wanna spend all the money if the works not needed, and because im selling the car i will be losing more money thats all m8

340i
unfortunately I am at work all day ;)

What happens when you try to engage any other gears apart from 1st?

renaultsport clio 182
ive taken the selector off the gearbox and tried moving the actual selector on the box but no joy. dunno if its disloged in the box though

Not sure what this bush could be?

The only ones I can think of is...

upper gearbox mount

dog bone mount

lower, front gearbox mount

?

I think there is a small rubber on the selector arm where it joints the socket on the gearbox?

I think thats what it is the guy said he managed to change it and then it would go in all gears, When mine was stuck it only went into 5th.