ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox issue and 4th

started a thread like this a few weeks back but got a couple of updates:

Been having a weird problem with the gearbox on my 172, basically 4th gear doesn't feel right! It goes in, doesn't make any noises or pop out or anything but it just doesn't 'click' in like it should. It kind of drags in and feels shorter than it should do. A few ideas from other people such as linkage needs adjusting, change the gearbox oil, gearbox mount etc. I've got the gearbox oil ready to be changed as I doubt it's ever been changed, hopefully this will cure it. I'll also inspect the mounts at the weekend.

How do you adjust the linkage though, is it trial and error?

I don't think it's the linkage though because I was on the motor way today in the left hand lane about 60mph, and I put it in neutral for a sec, then I put it in 4th and it went in just how it should, felt perfect! Did that a few times and each time was good. Then I came to a stop at some lights and put it in 4th and it felt like it was dragging again! Even with the engine off it felt like it was dragging. It only doesn't seem to do it when i'm moving at speed.

Any ideas people as it's making slower driving a bit awkward.

The car has warranty but don't want to go through them if I can help it as they are rubbish and it's a painful process (non Reneault dealer warranty).

Hey edde, changed the box oil just now (in the dark and rain) with 75/90 semi and OMFG what a difference, all the gears just click in now as they should and I love it again!

How the heck can new oil make such a difference?? The old oil was pure black and like water (will this have done permanent damage?)

4th gear is selectable at standstill and low speeds now and feels spot on!

Cheers.

Hey edde, changed the box oil just now (in the dark and rain) with 75/90 semi and OMFG what a difference, all the gears just click in now as they should and I love it again!

How the heck can new oil make such a difference?? The old oil was pure black and like water (will this have done permanent damage?)

The old oil makes the syncrois stuck and stiff. a nd notchy to use.

Only problem with 75/90 gear oil is when cold its a bit thick so have to be abit more gentle as its not that vischious cold when warm its fine.

Sorry to drag this up but it seems to be back :( It will only do it when stationary and the 1st 5mins of driving when it's cold though. I've topped the oil up but that was fine so now i'm not sure what to do. Surely it can't be the oil again?

After 5mins it acts perfectly as it should (apart from when i'm stationary it will still do it)

Mounts seem fine so i'm starting to think linkage but why would this go away after 5 mins? I've drawn a diagram below to show what it feels like when it's cold / standstill;

gearsjf8.jpg

It feels like it's not going into 4th but more like 2.5 :D

BMW M135i
May still be oil related you've used the wrong oil to start with, should be 75w80. I could go with linkage if it does it all the time but going away as it warms up is either the oil or the box has a physical problem.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Agreed as edde said 75/90 is too high really. SOme get away with it, others dont. Your the unlucky. 75/80 will work better from cold and not require warming up. Get some castrol 75/80w from opie oils. It will resolve your issue if it is oil related which sounds exactly klike what i had and the castrol "cured" any notchy gears on mine.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
its an old car, its never going to be how it originally was, what year is it, 53 plate ? thats still 5 years old, things bend and warp with heat, just live with it or have the gearbox renewed

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
i disagree. There are notchy gears and then there are pain in the ass to get into gears which just ruin your driving experience. I wouldnt live with it, and if changing my oil will rectify that problem, then thats 40 quid well spent.

cheers guys, when I changed the oil originally it was excellent.. couldn't believe my luck but now it's done some miles (about 10000) it's just not the same.

I wouldn't expect it to be because it's 'an old car' as the boxes on my valver lasted far longer without any problems, but I guess that's luck.

Well it's far better when warm so i'll try the oil 1st. Is that castrol not available in 4l or even a 5l? Having to buy 4x1litre seems like a marketing plan to rape me of more cash :p

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
They usually all come in 1litre bottles. I only really needed 3, but its supposed to take 3.5 litre IIRC