ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Issue

Evo 8 MR
The car has just today developed a loud knocking noise from the front end which is louder on the nearside which leads me to believe that its the gearbox.

The noise is only noticeable around 40mph+ in any gear but in 5th it whines aswell.

There is no noise whatsoever if I put it into neutral and the car drives perfectly okay although I don't dare push it too hard now in fact it sounds as if it's going to explode at 60mph.

I'm going to take it to Birchdown asap to let them confirm that it's the box and then I'll go from there however I need to go to college on Monday really which is a 240 mile round trip, from reading other gearbox related threads it seems as if it's okay to drive albeit very noisy?

Clio 172 cup
I have exactly the same issue! Does yours make the whining sound when in neutral but moved towards the 5th gear position (just pushing it right) Whilst moving along?

Thanks

Clio 172 Ph2
funnily enough mine started doing this today, when i steer left it gets louder, and stops when i turn right, have you noticed that?

Evo 8 MR
Here's a video I recorded earlier to try and capture the noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Evo 8 MR
Well I can confirm it was the gearbox and it's completely failed now, kept jumping out of 5th so I used 4th until it jumped out and locked itself up.

Evo 8 MR
Picking the car up tomorrow now it's got a refurbed box in.

The box that was removed from this was unusable, the bell housing had a hole in it, I just noticed yesterday there's a big oil patch where it's obviously dropped the oil from the box and you can tell it's more towards the middle of where the car was sat indicating it's dropped from the engine side of the box. The internals were a mess too, unfortunately no pics.

Anybody had this happen to theirs?