ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox issues

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182
Absolute nightmare today.
First trackday of the year and first for the Clio under my ownership.

3 sighting laps and 3 laps at full chat, car comes out of third under heavy breaking and gear shifter is stuck in neutral stiff as a board with no hope of finding a gear.

Gear linkage intact which I hoped would be the issue, clutch a little on the firm side but up until then never missed a beat.
Thinking it could be gearbox replacement time and a clutch change to make sure.

Does anyone have some cost estimates of a gearbox and clutch change ? Need to inform the wife and get my ear chewed.

tempted to get it to the guys at ktec racing Doncaster as it's roughly an hour from me, anyone had work done by them and would recommend ? They look very Clio knowledgeable.

Crappy day all round today, £160 trackday up the swanny and the costs of repairs to follow !

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Absolute nightmare today.
First trackday of the year and first for the Clio under my ownership.

3 sighting laps and 3 laps at full chat, car comes out of third under heavy breaking and gear shifter is stuck in neutral stiff as a board with no hope of finding a gear.

Gear linkage intact which I hoped would be the issue, clutch a little on the firm side but up until then never missed a beat.
Thinking it could be gearbox replacement time and a clutch change to make sure.

Does anyone have some cost estimates of a gearbox and clutch change ? Need to inform the wife and get my ear chewed.

tempted to get it to the guys at ktec racing Doncaster as it's roughly an hour from me, anyone had work done by them and would recommend ? They look very Clio knowledgeable.

Crappy day all round today, £160 trackday up the swanny and the costs of repairs to follow !
Is it stuck in a gear mate? Or is the box in neutral and the gear lever solid?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unfortunately gearbox repairs are a given on most French hot hatches. (X 100 for a clio!)

But once it’s done and if it’s maintained properly, it will last ages. So don’t stress too much.

Me personally, id send your current gearbox to @NorthloopCup for a complete refresh and bang a new clutch in too.

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182
Unfortunately gearbox repairs are a given on most French hot hatches. (X 100 for a clio!)

But once it’s done and if it’s maintained properly, it will last ages. So don’t stress too much.

Me personally, id send your current gearbox to @NorthloopCup for a complete refresh and bang a new clutch in too.
Yeah unfortunately just one of those things !
Was hoping it would give me a bit more time before it did it though haha

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Neutral and its solid, small movement up and down but nothing that resembles a proper gear location
Drain the oil out of the box and lower the gearbox down on to the subframe.

There’s a black end cover on the end of the gearbox that’s held secure with 3x 8mm bolts (13mm socket/spanner size). Remove the bolts and drop that end cover off. It’s a bit of a faff as there’s a oil feed tube in the end of the cover, but it’s definitely doable.

Once you’ve got that off, take a picture of the gears and shafts that you can see and upload it in here. Plenty of pics from as many angles as you can mate.

Tag me in here when you’ve done it and I’ll be able to tell you if the box has to come off, or if it can be fixed in situ. 👍🏻

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182

There’s a black end cover on the end of the gearbox that’s held secure with 3x 8mm bolts (13mm socket/spanner size). Remove the bolts and drop that end cover off. It’s a bit of a faff as there’s a oil feed tube in the end of the cover, but it’s definitely doable.

Once you’ve got that off, take a picture of the gears and shafts that you can see and upload it in here. Plenty of pics from as many angles as you can mate.

Tag me in here when you’ve done it and I’ll be able to tell you if the box has to come off, or if it can be fixed in situ. 👍🏻
appreciate it 😁 bank holiday Monday sorted !

172 Ph1

Tag me in here when you’ve done it and I’ll be able to tell you if the box has to come off, or if it can be fixed in situ. [emoji1303]

Like this @NorthloopCup , @LincsClio

IMG_0893.jpg

Mine got stuck in 3rd gear similar issue , bolt fell out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182

do we I need to drop the actual subframe itself to get the black cover off or will it fit ? Seems like a tight gap 😁

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182
It will come out with the subframe on and the box dropped
Right I've dropped the box down to the subframe and removed the two bolts on the bottom and left. Do I need to do anything with the top bolt as it just seems to spin on the bolt itself and the but doesn't get looser.
Assuming a bit of prying force is needed to get the black cover of itself ?
It will come out with the subframe on and the box dropped
Ignore the last one just needed a bit of encouragement :) !
See pictures @NorthloopCup

Attachments

• PXL_20220425_163526971~2.jpg
    PXL_20220425_163526971~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20220425_163517612~2.jpg
    PXL_20220425_163517612~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20220425_163524083~2.jpg
    PXL_20220425_163524083~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20220425_171017965.jpg
    PXL_20220425_171017965.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20220425_171007683.jpg
    PXL_20220425_171007683.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20220425_170951319.jpg
    PXL_20220425_170951319.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20220425_170948900.jpg
    PXL_20220425_170948900.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20220425_170942979.jpg
    PXL_20220425_170942979.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20220425_170938394.jpg
    PXL_20220425_170938394.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20220425_170935977.jpg
    PXL_20220425_170935977.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Right I've dropped the box down to the subframe and removed the two bolts on the bottom and left. Do I need to do anything with the top bolt as it just seems to spin on the bolt itself and the but doesn't get looser.
Assuming a bit of prying force is needed to get the black cover of itself ?

Ignore the last one just needed a bit of encouragement :) !
See pictures @NorthloopCup
Right, so straight away I can see that the selector for 5th gear isn’t in the correct position.

I will post a pic in here of what it should look like this evening and tag you in it mate. 👍🏻

The good news is that it hasn’t stuck in any gear, so hopefully with 5th gear back in the correct place, you will get all gears again.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Perfect, great news 😁
Appreciate the help
47F4109A-A19B-4FAC-B99D-49C19696906F.jpeg
Right so you see the fork/hub assembly circled red? On yours it’s sitting proud and it needs to be flush - as in the image.

There’s a spring clip you access via the 3 slots in the hub - if the hub won’t slide down and sit flush, stick a small screwdriver in the slots and manually manipulate the clip to allow the hub down.

Sounds a lot harder than it is lol!

LincsClio

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault clio 182
View attachment 1590241Right so you see the fork/hub assembly circled red? On yours it’s sitting proud and it needs to be flush - as in the image.

There’s a spring clip you access via the 3 slots in the hub - if the hub won’t slide down and sit flush, stick a small screwdriver in the slots and manually manipulate the clip to allow the hub down.

Thank you very much 😁 will jump on it tonight and hopefully get it sorted.

Just out of curiosity what would of caused it to do this ? Just wondering the likelihood of it happening again if this fixes it

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1590241Right so you see the fork/hub assembly circled red? On yours it’s sitting proud and it needs to be flush - as in the image.

I like your use of fancy tools!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thank you very much 😁 will jump on it tonight and hopefully get it sorted.

Just out of curiosity what would of caused it to do this ? Just wondering the likelihood of it happening again if this fixes it
No worries mate. Unfortunately you need to give these gearboxes a bit of respect as they don’t like to be rushed.
I like your use of fancy tools!
Why thank you. I’ve also got a c**k like a lion bar.
TBF to @NorthloopCup they aren't his pictures, I suspect he has a much nicer looking stick.
No I shamelessly robbed the image off here as I forgot to take a pic of the one I’ve got in the garage lol