ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gearbox noise?

Clio 182 FF
Hi all,

I have done a quick Google but aren't satisfied i have found the cause of my issue (want clarification).

A problem started today where when driving i can hear a like rubbing whine if that makes sense (not really the whine of a diff) which gets louder when i let off the accelerator and the car comes down the revs. The sound vanishes whenever i press the clutch pedal down, and returns when i release the clutch.

Could this be a clutch bearing problem?

Clio sport 182 Ph2

Cheers

monaco 172
Had this on my old 182. Was a bearing inside the box. I initially thought it was the release bearing so changed the clutch kit and the issue was still there.

Clio 182 FF
Ok, does this not sound like a clutch bearing problem then? I assume if it was clutch i would only hear the noise when pressing down the clutch pedal? Cheers

monaco 172
Sounds identical to the problem I had. It was not the release bearing, I gave it a try on the off chance it would be as a clutch kit was only about 100 quid and fairly easy to change.

Turned out it was a bearing in the box. Get it refurbed, shouldn't cost much more than 200 I wouldn't have thought

Clio 182 FF
Ok had a good look over it today and its deffinately the box. Would any recommend buying a second hand box as money is tight at the minute? One place i rang said it would be 380-420 to rebuild the box. Im in the Nottingham area.

Cheers

Clio 182 FF
I have removed a box before, does anyone know if its easier to remove from the bottom or from the top on these?