ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox noise?

Clio 182 FF
Hi all,

I have done a quick Google but aren't satisfied i have found the cause of my issue (want clarification).

A problem started today where when driving i can hear a like rubbing whine if that makes sense (not really the whine of a diff) which gets louder when i let off the accelerator and the car comes down the revs. The sound vanishes whenever i press the clutch pedal down, and returns when i release the clutch.

Could this be a clutch bearing problem?

Clio sport 182 Ph2

Cheers

monaco 172
Had this on my old 182. Was a bearing inside the box. I initially thought it was the release bearing so changed the clutch kit and the issue was still there.

Clio 182 FF
Ok, does this not sound like a clutch bearing problem then? I assume if it was clutch i would only hear the noise when pressing down the clutch pedal? Cheers

monaco 172
Sounds identical to the problem I had. It was not the release bearing, I gave it a try on the off chance it would be as a clutch kit was only about 100 quid and fairly easy to change.

Turned out it was a bearing in the box. Get it refurbed, shouldn't cost much more than 200 I wouldn't have thought

Clio 182 FF
Ok had a good look over it today and its deffinately the box. Would any recommend buying a second hand box as money is tight at the minute? One place i rang said it would be 380-420 to rebuild the box. Im in the Nottingham area.

Cheers

Clio 182 FF
I have removed a box before, does anyone know if its easier to remove from the bottom or from the top on these?