ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil change-whats that pipe?

2002/02 172
Changed the gearbox oil today, followed some instructions i'd found on here. But when i took the airbox off i noticed a little pipe with a plastic filler and cover on the top of the gearbox. The guide said to fill through the butterfly plug half way down until oil starts to drain out of it, but....

are you supposed to:

open the level opening half way down, by undoing the butterfly plug

then fill in the top pipe until oil comes out the other plug to give the right level

This seems like the way its designed to be done. either way you need a bit of pipe and a funnel....

ph2 172
i did mine yesterday and filled up using a pipe and funnel into the butterfly bit until it come out it was a little bit fiddly, would have been a doddle if there is somewhere to fill it up from the top.

2002/02 172
obviously saturday 21st March is Clio 172 gearbox oil change day in Derby ;)

can the city council please let me know when "change brake fluid" day is please?

2002/02 172
thats what I'd read on here, so I didn't use it to fill with.

but if its a breather then why does it have a plastic cover that closes it off? and as I said in the OP, it would make much more sense to fill at this point until oil came out the other.

or maybe its because I'm an engineer and i'm constantly expecting reno to pay as much attention to design for maintenance as I have to. I'm also constantly disappointed :dead:

clio rs 2000
the gearbox get 3.1 liter oil i have looked from the service manual
you must fill it from the under of the gearbox. there is a filling whole and fill it till the oil comes out and alwalys usu 75w 80 oil grade

172 cup
lol i did mine other day too, got the castrol with the long pull out tube in bottle to no need for funnel and tube ;)

BMW M135i
thats what I'd read on here, so I didn't use it to fill with.

but if its a breather then why does it have a plastic cover that closes it off? and as I said in the OP, it would make much more sense to fill at this point until oil came out the other.

or maybe its because I'm an engineer and i'm constantly expecting reno to pay as much attention to design for maintenance as I have to. I'm also constantly disappointed :dead:
Its not sealed its just a more complex route so most of the oil vapour will condense and run back down into the box rather than striaght exiting and making an oily stick mess of the bay. Its only a small bore hole/tube anyway it'd take forever to fill it through that, nothing wrong with the fill/level hole as long as you have the right gear anywho imo.

M

mini-valver

I always rig up a funnel on a length of hose pipe, jam it in the filler hole and fill from the top. Leave a tub underneath too.