ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil manufacturer type ? 172 182

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Hi , just been having a nose for gearbox oil requirements.

Ive seen 75w80 elf Nfj pop up ? Is this what i need and around 3 litres per box ? Need for 2 gearboxes.

Is this what people recommend or any other manufacturer ? I think ive only used elf in the past when ordered oils via renault ?

Hi , just been having a nose for gearbox oil requirements.

Ive seen 75w80 elf Nfj pop up ? Is this what i need and around 3 litres per box ? Need for 2 gearboxes.

Is this what people recommend or any other manufacturer ? I think ive only used elf in the past when ordered oils via renault ?
Yup that will be ideal, and as the above poster mentioned, Redline MTL is also a good choice.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
ELF NFJ or Redline MTL

Just make sure it's definitely GL4 because if not your synchros are gonna have a bad time. And you need about 3l per box
I use the redline mtl in the nissan , yeah thats why i wanted to check as i know the jc5 likes to self destruct 😂. I will makesure i get either one of these then. Whichever works out best price or can get in so i can do it this weekend

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I have redline mt 75w90 , would there be any issues using that opposed to 75w80 ??

You could try it, it wont break anything or harm anything but being a little thicker when hot you might get a baulky gearchange.

Best to stick to 75w-80 (y)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I only use redline now as I mistook the elf engine topup oil for my elf box oil. That was an expensive service

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I renewed the oil in my box start of the year with Redline MT90 75W90, the bearings became noisy a few weeks later, probably only used the car twice.

Got the gearbox rebuilt and was going to order the genuine Elf stuff this time around, but instead ordered Redline again as it was quite a bit cheaper. Ordered from Kam Racing, and only just noticed that it's 75W90 that they sell for the Clio, and this is what I've put in again.

Is it likely that this will have killed my old box (was on 110k, but was working perfectly prior), and is my rebuilt box going to be ok, or should I replace the oil again.

Last thing I need right now is another broken gearbox.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I renewed the oil in my box start of the year with Redline MT90 75W90, the bearings became noisy a few weeks later, probably only used the car twice.

Got the gearbox rebuilt and was going to order the genuine Elf stuff this time around, but instead ordered Redline again as it was quite a bit cheaper. Ordered from Kam Racing, and only just noticed that it's 75W90 that they sell for the Clio, and this is what I've put in again.

Is it likely that this will have killed my old box (was on 110k, but was working perfectly prior), and is my rebuilt box going to be ok, or should I replace the oil again.

That was pure coincidence imo mate.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
That was pure coincidence imo mate.

That was my thoughts too to be honest. Just i'd not noticed the grading difference prior. However, I've just spent 5 minutes googling, and I'm not really concerned anymore.

Car's back on the road by the way and minus the binding front caliper that I'm hoping to rebuild this week, is running great. Thanks again for all your help.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
You could try it, it wont break anything or harm anything but being a little thicker when hot you might get a baulky gearchange.

Best to stick to 75w-80 (y)
Yes i will just go for that then and keep the 90w for the nissan. Not worth the risk for the sake off buying that

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, rather start my own, I'm curious to know. If I change my gearbox oil. Does the Redline mtl 75 w 80 give better protection and would I feel a difference in the gear change compared to the Elf NFJ? Basically is it worth the extra cost?
@NorthloopCup or anybody else that knows.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, rather start my own, I'm curious to know. If I change my gearbox oil. Does the Redline mtl 75 w 80 give better protection and would I feel a difference in the gear change compared to the Elf NFJ? Basically is it worth the extra cost?
@NorthloopCup or anybody else that knows.
The simple answer is yes. Far superior oil to the NFJ.

Nah, the Redline MT90 wont kill the gearbox. As the other poster said, a coincidence.

Cheers,

Guy

Clio182
So, redline is available in bottles slightly less than one litre. Would three be enough for a Clio box? It would be slightly less than the 3 litres needed….. enough to be a problem?

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
So, redline is available in bottles slightly less than one litre. Would three be enough for a Clio box? It would be slightly less than the 3 litres needed….. enough to be a problem?
3 will be enough, I've just done mine and I've still got about 1/5 left of the third bottle. Opie Oils with CLIOSPORT discount code!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182

3 bottles is 2.8L and I struggle to get all that in mine tbh.

Even with the front lifted higher.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I buy 5l bottles from autodoc
20210911_141955.jpg