ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil

Oyster Card
I'm pretty much my leak under my car is gearbox oil, I also don't know whether it's in my head or not - but the gear changes feel not as smooth as they used to.

I was wondering if I needed some more oil in the gearbox, it's a MK1 can anyone tell me how to top it up? someone said to me before under the gearstick gator but I'm not so sure?

The gearbox filling point is down the front of the box between the gearbox and the radiator. Its a pain to try and fill up you need to make a little bottle with a long thin pipe off it the pipe goes down the front of engine/radiator and you undo the screw on the gearbox and fill it with oil like that you know when its full as it should start to leak out.

Oyster Card
Bloody hell I see it, typical Renault to make a mission out of getting to a bolt.

Cheers Edde will give it a go, do you know if low gearbox oil will make the gearstick feel diffrent or is it the same till it runs out then the gearbox breaks?

AcID ZeR0 said:
Cheers Edde will give it a go, do you know if low gearbox oil will make the gearstick feel diffrent or is it the same till it runs out then the gearbox breaks?
Yep the oil lubricates the internals so it will make it notcier but it could be other problems best idea is to top up the level as this sorts many issues.

Oyster Card
Just to be sure mate, am I looking at the right bolt?
It's on the right of gearbox looking from the front near the bottom right hand side of the engine

Last edited:
  Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
its not a bolt as such

its more of a thumb screw, and plastic, to be turned by your hand rather than a socket.

Oyster Card
looks like it's going to be a mission to get to, is it possible to do it without the car going up in the air?
I've got a nitro car fuel filler bottle so it might be quite easy to squeeze the oil in with that but getting to it is the first problem.

Oyster Card
Mission complete
You don't want to see my alley though, looks like a beach with all the sand covering masses of black oil.

Took the plug off and loads of the stuff seeped out without me noticing, it didnt look like it was going to leak at first for some reason, I knelt down to put some new oil in my squeezy bottle then i saw it on the floor masses of black crap.

Anyway I made sure the car was on level ground, and with a lot of cursing and scraping of my knuckles on various water hoses I managed to get about 900ml of Castrol 7580w
The other 100ml joined the rest of the old gearbox oil on the floor.

So worth it though, changes like a dream now and before if I was going along I could push it out of gear with my hand now I can't unles I've got my foot on the clutch.
It's got rid of the notchy feel when changing gear, thats the best way to describe it.

Still got the leak to attend to or this is going to be a regular thing lol, decided I'm just going to service the car myself maybe a couple of things a week.

Might leave the oil change to National Tyres, oil and filter change for £20.