ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox or clutch dead?

Hi All,

Was pulling out of a layby on Thursday night when my Clio lost all its drive :(, i originally thought that it jumped out of gear, Ive got no drive in any gear, if i release the clutch in R 1 2 3 4 or neutral there's a clicking noise from under the bonnet but when i try to pull off in 5th there's a grinding noise from under the bonnet. When i put the clutch in the clicking & grinding noises go away :S

Ive got it in the garage at the min but they cant look at it till Monday, im almost certain its the clutch, just wanting to know if anyone has any other opinions, could the clutch failing like that take the gearbox with it?

Thanks
Scott

182cup & 172 racecar
Could be the springs on the pressure plate, they do let go.

broken-clutch-cover.jpg

Ged

PD130 Peach
sure i read somewhere on hear about it just being a curclip coming off and meaning loss of all drive? so could be a cheaper than you think fix... someone else will be able to help my info on this..

182cup & 172 racecar
That will be the driveshaft circlip, but that wouldn't make any difference if the clutch was in or out.

But worth a check though.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
If your car is speedo driven which i think it maybe (not 100%) but your car into 1st and drive like you normally would if your speedo moves i would suggest the circlip as that is what happened to my sport. If not then i would suggest the clutch..