ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox pissing oil

01 Clio 172 PH1
hi guys...my box is pissing oil where the casing joins the engine block

there shouldnt be any seals inside yea? if not then why is it leaking so bad?
is it possible to check other stuff without taking the box off?
i have replaced the selector rod seal with that split in half kit already and the leak got worse... i have to fill 100-200mil every 1000km or so....

01 Clio 172 PH1
IMG_20140913_173037.jpg

01 Clio 172 PH1
guys am i leaking oil here?
Untitled.png

if i am reading this correctly, i need to redo this gasket?
if so, can this be done with the box in the car?
can i just undo driveshaft, undo the e-torx bolts that mates the gearbox casing to bell housing, pry it open, clean the edges and redo the gasket?

thanks

01 Clio 172 PH1
well....my ps is leaking as well but engine side should be good cause everything other than headgasket is replaced

and im losing gearbox oil.selector seal alrdy replaced with the split type
and since its not leaking engine oil i concluded its not due to flywheel bolts put on withiut loctite

Clio.
If you are saying it's worse since you replaced the selector seal, then I'm guessing it's the selector seal again.
They are the weakest link.

Clio.
Mind you looking at the photo above, the gear oil seems forwards of the selector seal.
Is it leaking from the breather pipe on top of the gearbox?
Also, if there is evidence of oil spraying around the bell housing (where it joins to the engine block) it maybe the oil seal of the input shaft.
Give it a bloody good clean off and stick a sheet of cardboard under the car to see exactly where it pools the oil.

01 Clio 172 PH1
hmm... well i have another selector kit here alrdy cause i was thinking if it was the the seal:laughing:... but since its not...its sitting here for now

dont think its the breather pipe leaking cause the top is clean..let me have a look again tonight

and yes oil is spraying everywhere ...i can smell the oil especially after spirited drives...

with all these seals sometimes i really wonder if i should just get a rebuilt box and be done with it

synchros on 3rd gear are a bit crunchy anyways

01 Clio 172 PH1
ok cleaned around the box with brake cleaner...went out drove flatout for 10km....only the bottom is wet
so...i guess that concludes its the seal?