ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox rebuilds

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Problem with my car has been diagnosed as the gearbox. Can anyone recommend a gearbox rebuilder? Quote from my garage is £561+vat for rebuild plus fitting.

330i. E30 Touring.
I was faced with the same problem.

I bought a second hand one in the end and it was perfect.

ITB'd MK1
from memory it's not that much different a price for a new one from renault to what you've been quoted, and you'll get the newer type bolted diff included. worth getting a price IMO

Clio 172 PH2 (Y Reg)
Ive just dropped mine off for all the belts water pump clutch and box recon at a place near me

http://www.cleckheaton-gearbox-centre.co.uk/

Unfortunately they have some bad reviews on some searches but upon speaking to them they resorted my confidence.

£1122 for it all doing and fitting my new engine/box mounts (faulty box mounts I might add)

The box and the clutch comes with 2 years /24,000 miles warranty so they must be confident with there work.

Will let you know how she is when I get her back.

Watch this space.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
LOL... even better when you have "accidents" at track days!

I am sure a new box from Renault is 1K plus?!

Trackday is how my gearbox went. Don't have Relay so Matt Wills used his breakdown with my car and I drove the Trophy home. I'd have been fucked otherwise as it would of cost couple of hundred to be recovered.

Lionel Richie
yeah or whoever's membership it is would have to go with it

not that i'm saying you should do it, abusing one's membership is a no no!

New box from Renault (Service Exchange) is around £860+VAT, I checked for someone the other week at Renault

Surprisingly cheap!

Yeah, I thought it would have been more expensive than the 'new' JB3 ive got on mine, which was around £900+VAT few years back when it was done on service exhange, so it says on the invoice anyways

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
yeah or whoever's membership it is would have to go with it

not that i'm saying you should do it, abusing one's membership is a no no!

Got a quote of £155 for it to be taken to your workshop. I'll phone tomorrow to discuss getting the work done with you.

New box from Renault (Service Exchange) is around £860+VAT, I checked for someone the other week at Renault

Is that a jc5 with speedo input, my car has a ph1 box for some reason.

That was just a price for a 172 Ph2 box using the lads car reg, unsure if it was with or without the speedo drive to be honest. As far as I know a Ph1 box with speedo drive is a hundred quid cheaper on service exchange.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I may have nursed my car onto the road when my clutch went at Bedford, and got a free tow to freds. Possibly.

Buy cover, leave it a week, break down. Done.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
That was just a price for a 172 Ph2 box using the lads car reg, unsure if it was with or without the speedo drive to be honest. As far as I know a Ph1 box with speedo drive is a hundred quid cheaper on service exchange.

I've PM'd Wests Renault on here so I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks mate :)

I may have nursed my car onto the road when my clutch went at Bedford, and got a free tow to freds. Possibly.

Buy cover, leave it a week, break down. Done.

I couldn't possibly do something so dodgy ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
atouba said:
I've PM'd Wests Renault on here so I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks mate :)

Buy cover, ...

I couldn't possibly do something so dodgy ;)
Nearly backfired. The tow hook broke, and the f**king thing nearly rolled straight into freds place. Through the locked shutter.

williams and trophy
a grand for a box from reno???? fuk me. the jb5 was only £600 for the willy....this was a few years ago tho....same box ffs.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Glad to say my 172 is fixed now. They found out it was where the offside driveshaft connects to the gearbox when they started stripping it down. Only cost £300 for new driveshaft to be fitted.