ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Removal - Do I have to remove exhaust and manifold?

monaco 172
Did this last week.

No idea why you would remove the exhaust and manifold. Leave well alone.

Rack, don't even need to touch those 4 bolts, just remove the pinch bolt holding the steering rack to the column, but do not move the steering wheel once removed as itl mess with the steering angle sensor as I found out the hard way

2003 Clio 172
Eugh..... right.....i need help and @hipwell my issue looka similar to this. despite all of my best efforts......when putting the sub frame back on I have moved something....must have been the rack itself yet I have no idea how.

So given the subframe is still loose what is the best way to deal with this

monaco 172
Eugh..... right.....i need help and @hipwell my issue looka similar to this. despite all of my best efforts......when putting the sub frame back on I have moved something....must have been the rack itself yet I have no idea how.

So given the subframe is still loose what is the best way to deal with this
What issue you having?

Providing you didn't move the steering wheel, then lower the subframe back down and make sure the steering rack is facing where it was before and then raise the subframe making sure that the universal joint connection goes back together properly, might need to wiggle the rack slightly to get it into position, then fit your pinch bolt and tighten the subframe up

Spend a few minutes getting to grips with how to joint works and then all will become clear. Just do not put the key in for the steering lock or you will shag up the steering angle sensor settings.

Move the rack by pulling on the track rod or hub if it's still connected and you will see the square piece where it connects to the collumn turning, the is a metal flap type thing which swings down from the collumn and the lot is all clamped together by the 1 pinch bolt.

Last edited:
  2003 Clio 172
That's the thing fella. I'm fairly sure the rack moved as the recess for the pinch bolt (in the column shaft) is facing the wrong way.

How can I work this out while the car is still apart

2003 Clio 172
There wont be a next time bud.....hopefully.

I also did have them tie wrapped, real tight too :/

So this is now kinda blocking me from getting this done. What do I do? Just assume it rotated one turn one way (best guess) and go for the build then check the little levels on the steering angle sensor and fix it that way if needed?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
There wont be a next time bud.....hopefully.

I also did have them tie wrapped, real tight too :/

So this is now kinda blocking me from getting this done. What do I do? Just assume it rotated one turn one way (best guess) and go for the build then check the little levels on the steering angle sensor and fix it that way if needed?
Did you move your steering wheel?

If so then take it off and check your angle sensor is still in the yellow on the dial. If it is then just adjust your rack to suit as moving your steering wheel only gives you more issues... Trust me, I still have an angle sensor issue and TC light on constantly😂😂

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Could you measure the rack itself to see if it's central.

Take the boots off and measure how much is sticking out each side and adjust until it's equal both sides, that will give you your centre then...

2003 Clio 172
Right.....here we go. Not sure if the odds are with me here. I turned the rack the direction against where I think it might have moved. Guessing as I tried so hard not to hit the tre's etc.

Anyway, bolted the subframe.

Tightened the pinch bolt and pulled the airbag and cowling. I don't have the right size for the steering wheel, what size is that bolt?

Anyway, i worked out where was center on the wheel by working out the turns lock to lock and brought that into centre. I then straightened the ball joint ends on the tre's and the bottom arms using a square (as accurate as I can work out) and measuring from tre joint to bottom joint is more or less the same

Now, trying to eyeball the little steering angle sensor past the wheel, it is all blue with a little yellow nick in the bottom right corner

the letters >pom< and dead centre at the top of the angle sensor too, in line with the renault logo.

if anything, this was out by one half turn of the rack itself. could i have been lucky here?

J

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It's a T50 Torx bit iirc

And turning your wheel may have upset the angle sensor if it's moved from where it was before so you may need to get the angle value reset in CLIP. Or you may have been lucky in doing this haha

If your battery is disconnected then you may have been lucky but it's still hit and miss because angle sensors are massive knobs

2003 Clio 172
wheel didnt turn as it was locked on the key lock throughout

the only thing that can have moved is the rack and only by about half a turn at most either way unless i went full special

the problem with CLIP, is that i dont actually know of anyone in northern ireland at all who has it

monaco 172
When I did mine I completely bolloxed up and spun the steering wheel loads trying to reattach the pinch bolt before I worked out how it went back together.

Completely knackered up the position sensor. But I put it all back together, centered the wheels and took off the steering angle sensor and re centered that so the yellow dot was in the middle and the abs fault went off.

I had a thread about it I'll try and find it for you

Found it, wasn't much help, but put it back together, straighten the wheels and reset the angle sensor back to the yellow dot before you fire it up and you should be ok

Last edited:
  2003 Clio 172
Aww dung. Dot isn't in centre of mine but surely I cant be that much out as nothing was spun

monaco 172
Aww dung. Dot isn't in centre of mine but surely I cant be that much out as nothing was spun
Are the wheels facing dead straight? Or can you remember where they were facing before you took them off? One full turn should be quite noticeable

2003 Clio 172
FYI, sorted it.

Steering was dead on straight, well............the wheel will always be straight at dead ahead unless the tracking was changed as the column only mounts to the rack on one position (with the recess where the bolt it)

Looked like the steering angle sensor was a full turn out so I worked out that it is roughly 4.5 turns allowed on the sensor before things start to get tight (used no force as I had heard clock spring mentioned?)

Anyway, I split this value and rotated it to what I thought the middle value was and then a little to bring it in line with the steering wheel pins. That put it into the yellow zone on the window perfectly. All lights now gone

Thanks team

J