ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox replacement (chances of money back)

Had a clio 200 2009 for about 5 weeks now. Started having some intermittent issues, wouldn't go into gear once every couple of days also clutch seemed to go very light when this happend. Took it to drakes renault garage they struggled to find a fix but then said to replace the box would fix it. Got quoted £1997 to do this as the cars out of warranty!! Rang RUK waiting for a call back tomorrow. What do you guys think the chances are on money back? Surely a cars box shouldn't be having issues like this with 24 500 ish on the clock?

Lionel Richie
you should've argued the toss BEFORE any work started

28 day thing is nonsense, ring CAB, fit for purpose is 6months

you should've argued the toss BEFORE any work started

28 day thing is nonsense, ring CAB, fit for purpose is 6months

No work has started as of yet, got drakes to do some diagnostics on the car that's all. I'm new to all this who is CAB? Thanks

Lionel Richie
Citizens advice bureau

if purchased from a dealer the dealer has to stick to fit for purpose upto 6months AFTER the sale, ie if the engine goes bang 5months 3weeks after you bought the car from the dealer, tough s**t, the dealer has to pay for the repairs

Citizens advice bureau

if purchased from a dealer the dealer has to stick to fit for purpose upto 6months AFTER the sale, ie if the engine goes bang 5months 3weeks after you bought the car from the dealer, tough s**t, the dealer has to pay for the repairs

I was racking my brain for there name lol citizens advice , that was irrating me I couldnt remember ! Lol but yeah 6 months it has to be fit for !

Right got you, cheers for the help chaps. Bloody love the car so not being able to drive it is pretty gutting! Hopefully il get a solution sorted soon.

Clio 172 182 197 200
Dealer that sold you car should fix it if he refuses threaten small claims court but tell him you ll get Renault to fix it then he ll have to pay twice what it will cost him to sort now.

Clio RS200 GW
You will only get 75% of Renault uk I know I have been there exactly one month ago, new gear box 2009 I argued that it was a common fault and said the likely hood is that at some stage this gearbox will fail, cos its out of warranty I very much doubt they will pay the full whack, I spoke with Hazel and Karen over this issue customer services managers tell them The owner of WG59 GXL was dam right I have a new box but cost me £500 the fact it's shouldn't fail it another issue.

You will only get 75% of Renault uk I know I have been there exactly one month ago, new gear box 2009 I argued that it was a common fault and said the likely hood is that at some stage this gearbox will fail, cos its out of warranty I very much doubt they will pay the full whack, I spoke with Hazel and Karen over this issue customer services managers tell them The owner of WG59 GXL was dam right I have a new box but cost me £500 the fact it's shouldn't fail it another issue.

Was yours out of warranty then? I'd rather not pay anything as would anyone but I could manage £500 if It came too it. I can see not much work being done tomorrow and a lot of ringing about instead...

If anyone's interested renault have offered to knock 70% of a new fully fitted gearbox price. I'm going to end up paying around £600. Better then £1997 like. Now to try n chase up the people that sold me the car to see if I can get anything of them! Cheers for the help everyone!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Agreed with fred, you shouldn't have to pay. Not £250, not even £2.50. Threaten legal action, they'll cave in.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Tell the dealer they have to pay the £600, as renault are covering the rest. You shouldn't have to pay a penny

The dealer wants renault to fax through the diagnostics result and price left to pay before they will look into it. Lot of f***ing about but I will try to not pay anything.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Tell him he either pays that or fully refunds the heap of s**t he sold to you.

Make it sound like he has no choice, not saying your car is a heap, these things happen.

But I'd be making him back into a corner