ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox whine.

Monaro VXR
Ok the car is not a Clio but there are more people on here with mechanical know how it seems than the C4 forum so it's getting put up here as well as there.

Anyway complete back story etc.

Got my car back from the dealers the other day after getting CV boot replaced and a couple other bits and pieces done. They have test driven it and a few other things to try and find a fault with the depollution system that showed up but they found nothing. They seem to think it's a sensor glitch.

Now when accelerating the car sounds normal. But deceleration in 1st and 2nd makes a whining noise. Best example I can think of is it sounds kind of like a straight cut box with the noise.

When accelerating the noise dissapears. And in 3rd - 5th it is not there either only the first 2 gears. And this has only started in the last 2 days.

Anyone got any idea what it could be?

Clio 1.2 16v
Same thing happened to me but the gearbox whined in all gears except the 4th and 5th.

Stopped at a set of traffic lights (handbrake up) when into gear one and all I heard was a bang.

Was told the gearbox's diff was snapped/chewed up.

Replaced the gearbox....

172Petey

A whining noise is usually accociated with bearings, as in wearing bearings and the reason you dont get it in all gears is because not all the same bearings are under load in every gear. Sounds like a gearbox problem. Maybe check the oil.

Take it back to the dealers, it could be there fault they may have ben too harsh with the drive shaft when replacing the boot.