ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

general 182 questions/opinions

right what does everyone think about the paint quality of there 182s, have you had any problems from new, is the paint finish same on the plastic bumpers as it is on the body panels

do all your panels fit ok, and are your doors in line on both sides.

did you find any bumps in your paint work from new ??

Silver Fabia vRS

Nope my car is spot on, a few rattles inside, but other than that its spot on! Its built a lot better than my 172 MK2 was!

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

mines not too bad mate, same colour as yours....done 4,000 and only a small chip or two on the bumper and one on the side moulding. Finish of paint is consistent and good all over, as are shut lines :) Only thing i find is racing blue shows up tar spots real bad!

yeh i think that too, paint seems a lot better than the cup i had before, and the doors seem to line up better,etc, also the cup had a little crease just on the wheel arch at the back under the petrol cap from new, but i saw this on a few 172s too dunno why it was there ??

i have never used a tar remover, i have been using car polish and my finger nail, i also use a clay bar that usually does the job

ill tell you how mine compares to my mk2 172 when i pick it up on friday, everyone whos changed seems to have been impressed tho i just hope i dont get one of the 430 friday afternoon cars that some people seem to have got. my 172 has been faultless the 2 1/2 years ive had it

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Mine is fine,everything is spot on and no rattles,i had one rattle but Renault located it and sorted it in 5 mins and its rattle free now.Paintwork is fine everywhere.Everything fits as it should.Still very happy with everything about the car :D

Hi,

Paintwork on my 182 isnt bang on.

The narrow air vent underneath the main front grill has a lack of paint at either end and also where the back bumper is screwed on the paint is patchy aswell. Also in the lower air intake on the front, right in the corners there is a lack of paint.

I have one rattle coming from the windscreen vent, but apart from that the car is imo better built than the 172 mk11 i had before.

Stu.

^^yeh i saw a new racing blue cup at renault nottingham on saturday, and that had lack of paint around the front spotlight, and a sort of dimple effect, also had patchy bits on the back bumper and had little defects all over its paint (i.e dust that was sprayed on top of), and also the car had quite bad shutlines especially around the doors

Yaris Hybrid

My car has pi55 poor build quality all over. About the only thing that aint screwed up is the body work which appears to be fine apart from the scratch on the tailgate and two dents in the bonnet. No other troubles with the paint and panel gaps.

Inside the windscreen vent is very noisy and the engine noise and the knocking on over run just makes me wish I hadnt bought it!

980 miles now.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 15 November 2004

My car has pi55 poor build quality all over. About the only thing that aint screwed up is the body work which appears to be fine apart from the scratch on the tailgate and two dents in the bonnet. No other troubles with the paint and panel gaps.

Inside the windscreen vent is very noisy and the engine noise and the knocking on over run just makes me wish I hadnt bought it!

980 miles now.

maybe you should have bought a nice Vectra mate?

Ford Fiesta

mines ok paint wise, couple of chips but cant do anything about that, unless you get one of those horrid front end cover things!

all doors line up ok too.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 15 November 2004

980 miles now.

maybe you should have bought a nice Vectra mate?
It didnt rattle. It didnt knock or make any other funny noises.

Didnt have that push in 2nd gear at 5000rpm though and for some reason (that as an owner escaped me) it didnt have any credibility as everyone though it was badly built and unreliable - christ they should try a 182!!!

Main problem with the Vectra was that I couldnt bare being out dragged by a batty MCS!!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Other than an interior which rattles like a skeleton cracking one off in a biscuit tin mine is fine. The paint finish is perfect, as it was on my 172.

Just sell it and sod off then Toypop as you obviously cant stand to own it. ;)

Ive got the cob web affect on my paint work. Never taken it in a car wash and its waxed regular... It does my head in. You can only see it with intense sunshine.

what colour is yours, isnt it racing blue, and the cob web effect your talking about is caused by using to much normal polish ??, what do you use on yours (i.e which wax)???, you can get rid of that effect quite easily

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 15 November 2004
rattles like a skeleton cracking one off in a biscuit tin mine is fine.

does this noise stop when you get out you old fecker ?

Lee

BMW M2C

I agree with that. Ive been in a few 1.2s and a diesel as well as having a 1.2 courtesy car and none of them were as bad as mine. I would blame the stiffer suspension but two of the 1.2s I went in were far stiffer and lower.

dk

911 GTS Cab

My two 1.2s never rattled and neither did the dci courtesy car.

What is it with Renaultsports?
they are a hot hatch, hard suspension not a bloody cruiser like a vectra.

When you go round a corner in a vectra it would be like a barge compared to a 182, everybody knows they are going to rattle but for most, it doesnt matter because of how amazing they are in all other areas, just get out and drive the bloody thing and enjoy it rather than spending all of your time sl*gging it off on here!

Better still, take it on a trackday and then you will understand why most of us buy them, id like to see the vectra keep up on there!

CLIO 197 Ultra red

My car is generally very good except for a couple of rattles and paintwork quality. Under the headlights you can almost see through to the plastic-the paint is so thin.. Also around the door lock on the passenger door there is a run in the paint. Looks like a bad touch up job. Not impressed. Also the front and rear bumpers look a slightly different shade of silver to the body. For £12500 i really dont care though.. Still wickid to drive. I find the steering rack a little slow though.. only flaw in handling

[Edited by ken182 on 15 November 2004 at 8:18pm]

insignia

There is a difference on the colour of the front wing panels to the door panel on both of them. But doesnt look silly ;)

Yaris Hybrid

When you go round a corner in a vectra it would be like a barge compared to a 182, everybody knows they are going to rattle but for most, it doesnt matter because of how amazing they are in all other areas, just get out and drive the bloody thing and enjoy it rather than spending all of your time sl*gging it off on here!

Better still, take it on a trackday and then you will understand why most of us buy them, id like to see the vectra keep up on there!
Aha if you are blaming the rattles on the hardness of the ride you are very very wrong!!! My Vectra SRI 150 was notoriously hard, after 200 miles you wanted out!

Nope for some reason the Renaultsports appear to me to be built very poorly compared to the Dynamiques etc.

I will be totally honest, I am genuinely afraid that if I give that Clio some stick something will break! It just sounds so fragile! Yet I was happy to spank my 1.2 as it felt like it would last.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Aha if you are blaming the rattles on the hardness of the ride you are very very wrong!!! My Vectra SRI 150 was notoriously hard, after 200 miles you wanted out!

Nope for some reason the Renaultsports appear to me to be built very poorly compared to the Dynamiques etc.

I will be totally honest, I am genuinely afraid that if I give that Clio some stick something will break! It just sounds so fragile! Yet I was happy to spank my 1.2 as it felt like it would last.
well like i said then, you need to get it on a track to see what the car is really made of and then you will not say a bad word about it! It is far from fragile and very sure footed and easy to throw around corners with confidence.

^^^ agree with this, im finding that the performance on the 182 is close to mental at times, im not sure why but it feels faster than my cup and that was no slouch, i put my foot down on a local bypass the other night and it quite literally amazed me and some bloke in his new bmw

Yaris Hybrid

I had an interesting metallic sounding vibration as I hit 7k today, normal?!?!

I thought valves were hitting pistons!

I drove the Clio Cup touring car at Bedford, no such noises! Sounded well sexy with the sequential box, just like the touring cars on TV!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 15 November 2004

^^^ agree with this, im finding that the performance on the 182 is close to mental at times, im not sure why but it feels faster than my cup and that was no slouch, i put my foot down on a local bypass the other night and it quite literally amazed me and some bloke in his new bmw
i know what you mean, mine seems to be getting quicker all the time! I even gave a 911 a bit of a scare last night when i stuck behind him on a DC last night up to quite a pace.....

CLIO 197 Ultra red

Funny u should say that. A guy in my village has a TVR Tamora. I gave him a run and he couldnt skake me.. As we parted directions he waved so must have enjoyed the little battle.. Never gonna beat him but it was fun trying..

dk

911 GTS Cab

I had an interesting metallic sounding vibration as I hit 7k today, normal?!?!

I thought valves were hitting pistons!

I drove the Clio Cup touring car at Bedford, no such noises! Sounded well sexy with the sequential box, just like the touring cars on TV!
i hit 7k every time i go out in the car and it doesnt do it for me but then i am sure you are probably imagining faults now as you are paranoid that everything is not as it should be.......

As for the clio cup, I also drove one a few months ago and I though it was like a bag of nails, could handly hear myself think from the rattles and noise and it is a racing car, but then this is what you make out the 182 to sound like. I didnt particularly like driving the cup racer at all, much preferred driving my own car around the track.

Yaris Hybrid

Hmm me thinks the performance figures of the Cup touring car are not entirely honest. Didnt feel much quicker than the 182. If it was quicker....

mine doesnt do that either, all i get is that nice turbo esque /m3ish sound that the 182 makes, lets face it for the money theres nothing that comes close in the new car selection these days

Hmm me thinks the performance figures of the Cup touring car are not entirely honest. Didnt feel much quicker than the 182. If it was quicker....
THe ones at Bedford are rev limited for longetivity so probbaly only as fast as your 182 or not much quicker!

oh yes that kick, forgot about that, thats when things really get silly, im sure they bolted a turbo on somewhere and forgot to mention it LOL, i saw a mate the other day and he says he saw me drive past him on the street and he thought i had put a turbo in it with the sound it made !!!, does anyone know why they do this, the cup never did it but mine does and the 182 i test drove did, and my mates 182 also does (the turbo noise i mean)