ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

getting a custom decat made...

powerflow are making me a decat for my 172mkII. They are just cutting out the cat and welding in a bypass pipe between the two lambda sensors. (i have bought a cheap original cat for MOT time)

My Two questions / problems are:

1. does this sound like a feasible thing to get done?

2. should i get them to leave both lamda sensors in? or shall i get them to cut the hole for the second one out along with the old cat and unplug the second one from its connector?? so i just have the upstream sensor and then the bypass pipe with no space for a second sensor?

Reading this post back to myself i probably havent explained myself very well, but i hope it makes sense so that someone can help

1) yes .. its how powerflow do it... But remember its going to be a dodge job welding the flange back onto the Cat come mot time. Better off trying to source a knackered old cat that you can cut the flange off.

2) havnt got the foggiest :)

Its ok, i have just bought a cheap second hand decat to go back on my car come MOT time so they can use the flanges off the cat currently on my car. Then ill have both a decat and a working cat so i can swap them whenever i wish. the whole thing has worked out about £50 cheaper than getting a janspeed decat.

So.. we reakon only the upstream lambda is needed?

yeah, about the same. i paid 50 for the second hand cat and then powerflow will charge about 60, couldnt find the janspeed for less than £150 so i thought it was a reasonable idea.

also, i reakon my cat is a bit dodgey as i get a lot of water spitting out of my exhaust before the cat is up to temperature. (or at least i think thats the reason, i may be totally barking up the wrong tree there though)

i know its a by product, just thought that it takes a long time to get hot enough for it all to be expelled as vapour rather than liquid to rot my exhaust!. nevermind, once i get the decat sorted ill be happy.

one more thing, should i get powerflow to put a silencer in place of the cat or just a pipe? will it be too loud with just a bypass pipe?

iv got a powerflow decat-its just a pipe in place or the cat (flanges) with only one sensor in place (before cat sensor) myexhaust is quit loud but the its a 2,5" bore pipe!