ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting better....

Quick note to say thanks to the people who advised me to rag the nuts off my 172 after my complaints that it wasnt quick. :)

It has got a lot better since. Still not what I expected, but Im happy for the time being. Its the kind of car that never feels quick, but surprises you with the speeds it can get to in short spaces.

I guess being a turbo boy before, I got into a lazy style of driving and wasnt exploiting the full power band of the 172s engine because that rev area was where my previous car ran out of puff rather than just hitting max power. God knows what Id be like with a Honda V-Tec engine!!!

Thanks again

Its the kind of car that never feels quick,

errr? just an example of speed i have a 307 1.4 on a well known dual carriageway which is quite short i can get 75 in the 307 and 120mph in the 172!

Quote: Originally posted by 172man on 24 February 2003

Its the kind of car that never feels quick,

errr? just an example of speed i have a 307 1.4 on a well known dual carriageway which is quite short i can get 75 in the 307 and 120mph in the 172!

Its all relative.....it doesnt feel quick to me because of what I was used to - as in turbochargers hitting you up the backside. Im sure if you went from say, a 1.1 Fiesta to a 172, it would feel like a rocket...........what if you went from an Impreza WRX to a 172 - do you think youd call it quick?

I do that too.......measure cars by what speed they can attain before braking on bits of road I know well. My old car got 90-95 and the 172 can just touch 110.

S2000

Hes not talking about top speed. Hes talking about getting to a certain point in the road and comparing speeds!

Ha, you edited!

Yes, Im talking about speed attained over distance, which is more a measure of acceleration, not top speed.

I really dont think a 172 is as quick as a Scoob......bug eyed or not. Id have to see that to believe it.

And....the point I was making was that if you came out of a WRX into a 172 (putting aside which is the quicker), you wouldnt get into a 172 and think "wow this is so quick" like you would say a Fiesta 1.1. Perhaps I used a bad example........get out of a Cooper S or a Civic Type R or even a VTS or something like that. All same sort of league so you arent going to be as blown away. A few tenths of a second dont really feel different.

Anyway, Im waffling, and I have to be up in less than 4 hours. All I was trying to say was thanks to people, not start a debate!