ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting rid of power steering

clio 172
thinking of going to manual steering as power steering pipe bust twice now. Ive heard the dci racks fit on, is this true?
What else is involved, is it change rack, remove pump, smaller belt?

IMG_1151.jpg

You need these parts then put them on like this:

IMG_1632.jpg

with a 5 rib belt to miss the cam covers, the brackets can be found on non PAS R5 1.7's, volvo 440/460 and 480's

You can also use the brackets that come on PAS volvos with slight modification to the bottom bracket to miss the subframe.

ebay008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mini-valver

You have got computer geek arms though kev.....

You need a good tator dinner lad!!!

Mondeo TDCI 130
no, i need pas, and not vintage tractor like steering!! But i do have girl arms :(

Edit, WTF are tator's? Patato? if so yack.

Converted my Mk1 16v clio to manual steering, didnt see a massive difference in drivability and parking wasnt a problem either. It did only weigh 850kg so that probably made it easier for low speed turning. Made the car much more free revving doing the conversion, a definate worthwhile modification to do if its easy enough!

03 RS clio 172 flameR
ha lol. wait till ben sees this thread, he was just asking me about if he should and i told him he will be fucked after driving work and back!
my bros mk2 golf gti has no pas and its lighter than the clio and its like driving a lorry in mud

03 RS clio 172 flameR
if you have no PAS pulley for the aux belt to spin then ther is less strain on the belt, thus less strain on the engine thus>>> BWAAAAPPP

Cooksport Fleet
The hi-pressure power steering line has burst on my car, any way of quick fixing it, so i have no powersteering but leave it all in place?

Thanks

ClioSport 172 Cup
I ran mine with no PAS pump attached(changed belt for shorter one) and it was very heavy, although i`ve heard that in relation the DCI rack is easier to manage than a PAS rack with no pump working!

172DD Cup
I ran mine with no PAS pump attached(changed belt for shorter one) and it was very heavy, although i`ve heard that in relation the DCI rack is easier to manage than a PAS rack with no pump working!

not too sure on that. got my dci rack up and running today and it feels just as heavy as broken pas

ClioSport 172 Cup
Just out of interest which pipes do you 'Loop' on the PAS rack if you want to disconnect the PAS pump? Is it the two pipes that go upto the Oil well? and does the car pass MOT if you remove the pump?

Clio 182 cup'd
I'm guessing you never want to sell the car then?

Buyer: There's no power steering?
Seller: Nope i took it out!
Buyer: Right... bye!

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Id like to have pas back in my vag cup but god knows if its possible - any ideas welcome :)

Find a donor clio with an elec PAS pump built onto the column ( no 13 )

01012840_1.png

I take it you have changed your rack when you removed the PAS system. If not it will be very hard to steer. I fitted a standard 1.2 Steering rack on my conversion and it was very easy to steer.

172DD Cup
that's starting to bother me now. when i changed my rack out for a dci/1.2 rack, it felt horrible, as hard to steer as broken power steering so i put the original rack back in. seen a few people now saying they've had no problems with the manual rack conversion. am i just weak? :(

alien green rs133
manual rack in my car :D
can park with little finger:D

but i do have electric steering column, but on the plus side im sure im the only one to get it to work on aftermarket ecu :D