ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Giffgaff issues

2014 Focus Titanium
Hi All,

My O2 contract ended this week and I swapped my number to a GiffGaff sim as I've heard good things about them on here, including that they use the O2 network. My friend also did the same, coming from EE, on my recommendation.

So far our experiences have been pretty poor with regards to data. I went up to the ryder cup for the last two days and my data has been ropey at best compared with my wife on an O2 sim. I would quite often have full HSDPA but it would then drop signal altogether for a minute or so, then back to H. Also, when having full H nothing seemed to load up as quick as before, sometimes waiting up to 10 seconds for Facebook to update etc. As a comparison the Mrs wasn't getting these issues on O2.

My mate got the train to London and his experience was even worse. A lot of the time he had full signal but no data at all while his work phone on EE had full signal and data, and when whatsapping me he would be away for a while then 6 messages would come through at once.

Anyone else had data issues with GG? So far were both very unimpressed and will be going back to our old providers if this is to be expected of the service.

2014 Focus Titanium
With full H+ signal that is shocking. I'm not talking 10 seconds to fully load up everything, I'm talking a status, some comments etc.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
No issues for me since swapping to Giffgaff.

Jump over in their forums, super helpful people on there I'm sure will be able to advise.

dk

911 GTS Cab
ive had similar issues when i switched to their 4g service, i can only get H or H+ at home and pages weren't loading at all (thought the phone was broken as it just wouldn't load anything, even will a decent signal), I had to turn off H and use 3g or GPRS, when I'm on 4g its fine.

i don't use it very often though as its in my samsung, which is running android, so I'm mainly using my iPhone tbh, which is on o2 and I've had no issues with that, or switching to 4g last week.

giffgaff do use traffic shaping though, so while you're using o2s network, i think you're still going through their service for data connections etc.

ive had similar issues when i switched to their 4g service, i can only get H or H+ at home and pages weren't loading at all (thought the phone was broken as it just wouldn't load anything, even will a decent signal), I had to turn off H and use 3g or GPRS, when I'm on 4g its fine.

i don't use it very often though as its in my samsung, which is running android, so I'm mainly using my iPhone tbh, which is on o2 and I've had no issues with that, or switching to 4g last week.

giffgaff do use traffic shaping though, so while you're using o2s network, i think you're still going through their service for data connections etc.

RE their 4G service, it's still a trial program so issues need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

2014 Focus Titanium
Hmmm, pretty positive experiences on the whole then.

I'll keep using this GG sim and see what happens, although my mate has already said he's binning his and going back to EE.

I'm on standard giffgaff 3g and have been for years and apart from the odd service down time I cant complain. Not really interested in 4g as dont really see any benefit to me.

2014 Focus Titanium
I'm in the middle of the city now, full H signal and I can't load up a low res video on Facebook. This is ridiculous!

Just done a speed test.

y4emyzyj.jpg

Clio 172 PH2
Oooft thats pretty brutal! I for one use giffgaff and I never had any issues either. Did you create a post over on the GG forums?

2014 Focus Titanium
Oooft thats pretty brutal! I for one use giffgaff and I never had any issues either. Did you create a post over on the GG forums?
No I haven't, will have a look at the GG forums.

Yesterday me and the mate who I had persuaded to come to GG with me were both in town again, both full H signal, couldn't load up facebook or twitter, and barely google.com. Unbelievably s**t. It doesn't really affect me as I spend 95% of time in wifi zones but he's on the road all the time and says it's basically just completely s**t everywhere he goes, which I can quite believe! He's going back to EE but I'm undecided yet as I don't really need the data, but it is f**king annoying.

Clio 172 PH2
Every now and again mine goes a little slower, I get around 2meg which is fine! All I use my phone for when I'm out and about is whatsapp and Fb!