ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Go Pro settings whilst on track

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure where to post this really but this seemed the best place.

My friend has borrowed me her go pro hero 4 and I am on the track tomorrow having driver tuition.

I have never used a go pro and am unsure what settings will be best, I will have to windscreen mount it as my cage isnt in yet.

What resolution and FPS do i want for the best video?

It has a 30gb memory card, will this be enough?

I will have 4 fully charged batteries with me, dont need the hole day on it, just hoping for some clips to see how it all works etc.

Ive seen your videos @GrahamV182 is it a go pro you use? any advice cheers?

I have searched on here but couldnt really find anything, youtube guides seem to be for the go pro 5 or surfing :p

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Windscreen mounted i'd say you would want the field of view set to Wide.

1080p resolution is more than enough and your 30gb card will be fine for that.

If you have to mount it upside down, there is an option for that so it flips the footage for you.

Shouldn't need spot metering on.

60fps will make it look smoother, but i find 30fps makes it look faster (more motion blur between frames).

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure where to post this really but this seemed the best place.

My friend has borrowed me her go pro hero 4 and I am on the track tomorrow having driver tuition.

I have never used a go pro and am unsure what settings will be best, I will have to windscreen mount it as my cage isnt in yet.

What resolution and FPS do i want for the best video?

It has a 30gb memory card, will this be enough?

I will have 4 fully charged batteries with me, dont need the hole day on it, just hoping for some clips to see how it all works etc.

I have searched on here but couldnt really find anything, youtube guides seem to be for the go pro 5 or surfing :p

Hello mate is it the GoPro HERO4 Silver? (It should have a small screen on the back of the camera)

If that's the case it is the same camera as mine.

Best way to set the camera up IMO is to download the GoPro App and connect to the camera using your phone. Then once the camera is mounted you can use the App to see what the camera sees.

That way you can adjust settings like field of view and as @JamesBryan says you can also adjust things like resolution etc

30GB SD card should be plenty enough, and four batteries is ample.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Hello mate is it the GoPro HERO4 Silver? (It should have a small screen on the back of the camera)

If that's the case it is the same camera as mine.

Best way to set the camera up IMO is to download the GoPro App and connect to the camera using your phone. Then once the camera is mounted you can use the App to see what the camera sees.

That way you can adjust settings like field of view and as @JamesBryan says you can also adjust things like resolution etc

30GB SD card should be plenty enough, and four batteries is ample.

Yes its a silver one, I will try and download the app now, I am planning on a quick blast tonight to test it!

thanks lads

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
It connects to your phone via wifi, so your mate might have set a password.

If she hasn't set one, there is a default GoPro password. Not sure what it is but Google should find the answer.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
If you have it setup in the car like I do (on my cage) remember to set the spot metering by pressing the holding down on the touch screen and selecting your windscreen, if you dont do this the exposure will be wrong and you won't see alot out of window, although you wont need to do this if you're not capturing anything in car, eg using a windscreen mount.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
If you have it setup in the car like I do (on my cage) remember to set the spot metering by pressing the holding down on the touch screen and selecting your windscreen, if you dont do this the exposure will be wrong and you won't see alot out of window, although you wont need to do this if you're not capturing anything in car, eg using a windscreen mount.
I didn't even know this myself!

Cheers bud! [emoji1303]

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I use Spot Metering when it's inside the car too.

Won't be needed on a windscreen or dash.

Hi .... yes. Being an old cheapskate I bought a secondhand Hero 2 off ebay for £45 complete with 2 batteries and a variety of mounts. I have also bought an external mic but not used it yet as the standard one is pretty good.

Good advice above ... to add .... I've set mine to a narrow 120 degree field of view - I think the default is 180 which seems a bit wide? I also set it to one touch record so I'm not faffing about on the start line.

For competition the rules are a sucker type mount must be supplemented by a tether. I use a pukka clamp onto the diagonal of the roll cage so no additional tether required.

Good luck ..... have a good day.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mostly as said already above, settings wise I'd go with;

One touch operation
Auto-orientation
1080/25 (only because it massively helps hardware cope come editing time plus it looks fast!)
Angle? Wide? Normal? Medium? Superwide? That depends entirely on where you're mounting it...trial and error on your part.
Spot meter - as said, set it only if you've got the camera set so that the frame is filled with as much car interior as it is exterior through the window. If you have it mounted on the windscreen and all it can see is outside, turn this off.

What does spot meter do? With it OFF it adjusts the frame's exposure and so on based upon what it can see in the frame as a whole, so with lot's of car interior it will adjust to correctly light and capture that, leaving the view through the window as an over-exposed blinding white light. With it ON, it adjusts all of the image settings based upon what it sees in the centre of the frame...so if it is inside the car, turning it on will work but ONLY if you adjust the view/frame so that the exterior view you want to capture i.e. the windscreen, is in the centre.

Also, have ALL LEDs lit so you can tell at a glance that it's recording and have the beeps at 100% so you can hear that it's started, stopped, and shut down.

Lastly, format the memory card, in camera, before you start the day.