ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to look at a 172 Tomorrow

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm dead set on buying it as long as everything ok, anything you guys think i should be looking out for? It's done 47k so whens the cambelt due?

R

Rebecca

Try not to apear to enthusiastic as you may be ripped of if the person selling it you knows you want it badly they won't allow haggling on the price say you have seen others that you are interested in to try and blag a bargain on it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Turst me i think it's a very reasonable price anyway, £4895 for 2001 plate facelift. It's just the mechanical side of it. Thanks for advice though

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Depends on the year for the cambelt, I have just had mine done, it's only done 39K but it's a 2001 so the belt has been sat on it for 5-6 years. It's whatever comes first, Mileage or Years, the book says it should be done at around 72k but it needs to be done much sooner, It'll set you back 350 quidish. Carefully check rear pads and discs and leaks on shocks (especially rear), exhaust and ignition keys are very weak so ensure these are tip-top. If you get the opportunity check for knocking when pulling away in first at around 4000 rpm as this can be the bottom engine mount bushes which is a common fault. Check electric windows are smooth and quiet as the motor are prone to break. Check for steering wheel condition as these are tending to fall apart in the recent hot weather and a replacement will cost over £200. Check clutch is good as I've seen estimates for the 500 quid mark. Better still get the AA or RAC to give it a check, it may be the best cash you parted with in the long run. And then obviously check the usual!!

R

Rebecca

cool, i can see someone has been doing there bargain hunting CHEAP AS CHIPS lol. Good luck with it anyways. Hope you enjoy it i remember when David got his he had a perma grin.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Ok thanks for this guys, much appreciated, how do i tell if it's a import?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Fletch123 said:
iirc they will be different stickers on the windows, and it won't have a standard alarm.

won't have an alarm all together? Has anyone had any experience with the rac coming to check cars etc? How much notice do i need to give.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
DrRollo said:
won't have an alarm all together? Has anyone had any experience with the rac coming to check cars etc? How much notice do i need to give.

Not much notice - they will come the next day if needed. Give em a tinkle mate the Numbers are on the websites:

Remember majority of these cars have had a hard life so worth doing although you may have to part with 100 - 200 pounds

RAC
http://rac.com.au/go/motoring/vehicle-inspections

DEKRA (that AA use)
http://www.dekra-assured.co.uk/Products.asp?x=Plus