ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to look at this-what to look out 4

after many disapointing phonecalls I have stumbled across this- has everything i want and more- is even cheap for me to insure as well on fully comp.

The only problem is that its on 33k and its last service was at 27k and its mot and tax are gonna run out in next month- which means it has been seen by a garage for almost a year.

So what things should i be looking out for as I have never owned a mk2 before....

I promise this will be the last post about buying a car...(unless i dont get this one ;))

1999 RENAULT CLIO 1.6 Si 3dr Hatchback
Grey.e.Sunroof,e.windows, ABS, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Central locking, Driver airbag.pass air bag,alarm;immobiliser,2 owners,full service his,kenwood 6 disc changer,mot, tax,good condition o.n.o. 33000 miles. £3800.

http://pictures.autotrader

if the pic dont work this is the link for it on autotrader....

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=&keywords=&min_pr=1000&max_pr=4000&mileage=5&agerange=&postcode=br3+1je&miles=40&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=4&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=4&distance=7&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200432155901288http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=&keywords=&min_pr=1000&max_pr=4000&mileage=5&agerange=&postcode=br3+1je&miles=40&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=4&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=4&distance=7&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200432155901288

(apologies to james who has been cleanin up my mess the last couple of days !)

[Edited by dj_sonic_uk on 24 August 2004 at 6:28pm]

Renault Laguna Coupe

At 33,000 miles the only things that might be dodgy are wheel bearings, which dont last long. The 1.6 engine is pretty bulletproof, accessory belts go, as do alternator bearings (quite expensive too).

thanks mike- will check that- what are the early signs of the bearing going? i know what its like when one has gone- theres a whirring noise turning left or right.

how do i spot an alternator bearing goin?

thanks Greg

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Personally, I wouldnt go for the 1.6 Si and the 1.4 Si is more powerfull:

1.6 8v Si: 90bhp | 112mph | 0-60 10.3 | IG 5 | High Tax Band

1.4 16v Si: 98bhp | 116mph | 0-60 10.2 | IG 5 | Low Tax Band

But If it is the car you want to go for just check taht the car has been serviced regulary, and also cheak the front plastice wings for damage, aprt from that thell be the usual stratches on the bumper.

Renault Laguna Coupe

youll hear, or maybe even feel a dodgy wheel bearing when you steer the car in different directions. The alternator is more difficult - when it goes the accessory belt comes off and you lose power steering and electrics - happened on our Megane (same engine) was a bit scary. As I said though - basically a very good engine.

didnt no that the 1.6 was an 8valve.

will see how this car is 2mo- obviously id prefer a 1.4 si but if there isnt one about then il go for the 1.6

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

the 1.6 Si is 8v, which is why its the low insurance group. there are 1.6 16vs but this bumps the insurance group upto 10!

yea i realise this now- hada bit of a blonde moment...

for some reason 1.4 16valve Si with similar mileage are goin for about a grand more on autotrader- im not gonna pay that much for 8bhp more! especially when i can the same result as that on this by drilling the airbox:p