ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to the ring so bought a 172!

Clio 172
Hi guys bought this with the intention of a few mods to get me round the Nurburgring.

F2021E95-80F4-499D-994E-9BE2182609A0_zpsobqs6up8.gif

Clio 172
First mod as linked

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?733576-gearbox-mount-(be-gentle-in-new-lol)

18149A11-AB32-41F2-9E63-48F093AED739_zpshfuuwpd6.jpg

I should have taken a photo fitted but didn't have my phone to hand!

in short I fitted a k-tec racing dog bone mount as mine was knocking when going hard through the gears. And boy what a difference, it feels really good going through the gears with no knocks or bangs, just lots of rattles from the dash. Not to sure how I'm going to feel after doing around 1000 miles. (Turn the speakers up me thinks)

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Also fitted my Because Clio stickers lol

FC89F097-E98C-4CA8-B3E6-7A88638A5312_zpsg93vfgcc.gif
I suppose I should give you guys the back story about the stickers,
before my house mate went to the Nurburgring last year he was getting loads of people ask why have you taken the interior out and what's that scoop on the bonnet for and why are your tyres bold (running r888's), so he decided it would be funny to have a sticker made saying "Because race car" so now I've bought the clio and my other house mate has his Alfa so we ordered my (Because clio) and for the Alfa Because Dean. I know there a little on the chavy side but in the interest of fun/ a laugh thought what the hell.

Clio 172
So I was on my way home start stopping in traffic and noticed once I had stopped and knocked it out of gear the revs were fluctuating between 1500rpm and 2000rpm occasionally sticking at either number with my feet of the peddles. Any ideas as to what this could be??

My guess would be throttle position sensor or idle control valve....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There isnt an idle control valve on the ph2 mate, it uses the electronic throttle body.
And the tps is built into the electronic throttle body.

So both the things you think it might be, are part of the electronic throttle body.

Not that I am saying that is the fault, as I havent had that exact one personally, although have had various other throttle related failures!

Clio 172
There isnt an idle control valve on the ph2 mate, it uses the electronic throttle body.
And the tps is built into the electronic throttle body.

So both the things you think it might be, are part of the electronic throttle body.

Not that I am saying that is the fault, as I havent had that exact one personally, although have had various other throttle related failures!

Ok cheers mate, from what I've read il try taking the tb off and cleaning it just to see if that makes any difference

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When you do so be a bit careful though, if you force it open you can break it, so its best to just chemically clean it without opening the flap.

Clio 172
Any ideas guys, as stated above yesterday I noticed my revs sticking around the 2k mark and this morning the same issue however I now have this light on the dash

DAD539ED-E25A-4521-888D-5912E26D97AA_zpsgxllmedl.gif

I'm sure you guys are aware but this has now put her into limp mode. I have plugged my obd2 in to check for codes but nothing is showing

I've had a quick read and found several causes for this..

any my ideas where to start??

cheers in advance

Clio 172
Sorry I didn't explain it very well. Before it went into limp it was reving up and pulling fine and when I let off the accelerator the revs drop to 2k and it idles there... When in motion the revs now seem restricted (assume limp) I havnt pushed it hard for obvious reasons.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry I didn't explain it very well. Before it went into limp it was reving up and pulling fine and when I let off the accelerator the revs drop to 2k and it idles there... When in motion the revs now seem restricted (assume limp) I havnt pushed it hard for obvious reasons.

If you can limp it over to mine (near the pub meet the other day) on sunday then I have a spare ETB we can swap on to see if its that.
If it is that I can lend you it until you source one.

Got a lot of other spares too.

Ah, your nightmare begins. That light cost me an engine (came on, limp mode, as I was about to start a race and then over rev'd it in frustration trying to catch the pack up) and eventually gave up trying to sort out the issues\fault find after many hours, months, swapping lots of parts etc and just got the car re wired and a after market ecu fitted.

Hope yours is an easier journey....

Got a spare throttle pedal and TB, if you need them.

Clio 172

Dam page didn't refresh lol

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Mick@mpm is your man after you try the TB as he has seen a lot of common faults. My guess is the wrong information is being sent or received from the pedal.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mick@mpm is your man after you try the TB as he has seen a lot of common faults. My guess is the wrong information is being sent or received from the pedal.

Agreed that MicKPM is the fella for any electrical faults, if I get stuck with any clio with electrical problems he is the person I turn to!

Things this is likely to be from what I have seen:
Wire corroded in the hairbrush
Throttle Body itself
Pedal itself

Cup In bits
And I'm sure that's the misfire light that's light up, is it running sweet other than at the wrong revs at times.

Clio 172
If you can limp it over to mine (near the pub meet the other day) on sunday then I have a spare ETB we can swap on to see if its that.
If it is that I can lend you it until you source one.

Got a lot of other spares too.[/QUOTE

That's much appreciated mate, I'll attempt to clean it out tomorrow as I'm off and get t back to you

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Worth trying to clean up the ecu plug (The hairbrush one) as well, just spray it all with contact cleaner (or WD40) and put it on and off a few times.

When we had a similar issue at bedford on Les's old car Mick got his diagnostics on it (such a good bloke to do trackdays with) and thats what it was for us, we didnt have WD with us annoyingly so used deoderant as a solvent instead and it worked, lol.